Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy Still having problems with driftwood

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

The driftwood in my tank is still releasing tannin(is it called that)..
    its the chemical thing that makes the water yellowish..its very ugly and its been a few months already maybe 2-3months..
    i'm using a hang on filter with active carbon as a filter media that i bought from yishun Aqua Star and initially its doing fine the water started clearing up a little but over time the yellowish color comes back.

any suggestions on what i can do..there is moss on the driftwood so i don't think boiling it(as i've seen some suggestions here saying so) would be an idea..
    any other suggestions??
    the driftwood i bought is from Serangoon North Rainbow..it was soaked in the water when i bought it but the water in the shop was very clear...

thanks in advance for any suggestions..
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 30th Oct 2007 at 08:23. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you do not want to boil it then you can just let it soak in water and change the water. Over time there would be no more tannins. You can remove it from your tank and place it in a bucket in the meantime.

Alternatively, you can change the active carbon because there's a limit to what the active carbon can absord.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i've changed the water numerous of times already and its still having such effects..about two to three months already..
    if i boil it will boiling kill the moss? and do i pour boiling water into a bucket with the driftwood or do i boil everything..

i've just changed the active carbon not too long ago and its already losing its usefulness??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No no you can' boil the moss. Boiling will definitely kill the moss. I was saying put the driftwood in moss in a bucket and change water everyday until it doesnt leak anymore. Then at least you don't change the water in the tank everyday.

The best way would still be to remove the moss and boil the piece of driftwood. Then tie the moss back.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There isn't a choice for your problem.

I agree with what Chong Yu suggested.

You can have the best of both world.

If you are really bothered by the driftwood, then do remove all the moss and boil the wood
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ooohh..alrights..thanks for the help..
    will try it out..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May I ask if your moss are healthy going? It may not be the wood that is causing the yellow water. it can be the rotten moss that cause it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm not exactly sure...they seems fine to me...
    so i don't think so..anyways when i change my tank i'm using the drift wood in.currently i'm soaking it in a bucket..been about a week or so already..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so does the bucket of water get yellowish? if still yellow then try squezze 1 lemon n throw the whole lemon into the bucket.it should remove the oily stuff

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i think due to no sunlight, the moss is looking kinda bad now..
    see what i can do about it, i see some brownish stuff all settled down at the bottow but the water is clear. i placed it under the table and covered it with a piece of cloth..haven't checked it out due to school and work.