Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to set up a one footer tetra tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to set up a one footer tetra tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi can some advice me how to set up a one footer tetra tank? newbie. thanks.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 29th Oct 2007 at 11:20. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    What do you actually mean? Do you mean to set up a planted tank with tetras? Or do you mean to ask regarding the general setup equipment wise?

Setting up a minimal tank or a planted tank is totally different. You can set up a tank with tetras using just the bare equipments.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tetras with some plants if not planted fully.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you should be more specific. Setting up a tank is the same for any tank size, just more equipment and effort. These info you can find in this forum or from the Internet.

Basic steps that I can think of are as follows:
    1. Think of the design and how the placement of plants and other equipment (filter, bogwood). Can fine tune later but at least you know what kind of technique you are using. Other consideration such as a high tech tank (CO2) or low tech tank (No CO2). Lighting affects the type of plants that is able to survive in your tank. These considerations helps to let you decide equipment to buy and types of plants suitable for it.

For me, the order for my decision is:
    1. High or low tech tank first.
    2. Lighting used.
    3. Equipment and plants.

It helps to do some reading before starting to buy anything.

2. Get the equipment and get your plants that you need or visualise.
    3. Setup the equipment.
    4. Let the tank cycle for a month. At least 2 weeks for me for my planted tanks.
    5. Slowly introduce your algae cleaning crew such as oto and yamoto shrimp. Then wait for a week, if you can wait that long (provided the shrimps and oto is still around), put in your tetra.

For a footer tank, try not to go for more than 10 tetras. Don't dream of having the big school effect in this small tank. They might not even school at all.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Why don't you go do some reading first...
    We have a huge beginner section that will allow you to find almost all the information you desire about how to set a planted tank up.
    Then if you have any questions..you will be able to ask more intelligent and specific questions.