Country
    Singapore

Enquires on Hornwort

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys

Want to make sure that you bought those cherry shrimps from lfs and inside they will have some plants that come with it. Are those Hornwort?

Does it suck the nutrients in the tank to prevent algae blooming? Cause i read from other forum saying that it can suck nutrients and prevent algae blooming.

I have some algae in my tank now and wanted to try using it to cure. Will it work?

Please advise.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Any nutrient hungry plants/fast growers will help in your case. Hornwort (Ceratophylum demersum), hygrophilla sp or even floating plants like Amazon frogbit would surely help.

I prefer floating plants as I can easily get rid of it after the job is done .
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by uklau View Post
    Any nutrient hungry plants/fast growers will help in your case. Hornwort (Ceratophylum demersum), hygrophilla sp or even floating plants like Amazon frogbit would surely help.

I prefer floating plants as I can easily get rid of it after the job is done .
    So means that all this hungry nutrient plants can cure my algae problem. Thanks bro.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleace View Post
    So means that all this hungry nutrient plants can cure my algae problem. Thanks bro.
    No. Better nutrient managent and a good understanding of water chemistry will cure algae problem. Read more.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yap, fast growthing plant only helps you to reduce nutrients in the water but it is not a silver bullet.
    You need to control factors such as lights, CO2, etc as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    No. Better nutrient managent and a good understanding of water chemistry will cure algae problem. Read more.

Cheers,
    ok i will go and read up more on it.

yap, fast growthing plant only helps you to reduce nutrients in the water but it is not a silver bullet.
    You need to control factors such as lights, CO2, etc as well.
    is 6x54W T5HO alot? my Co2 i never use drop checker i just use the thumb rule and that is 2bps. Btw my tank is 422 planted.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Never heard of bps thumb rule before, not even sure if there is any.

I have two 2ft 5-plan tanks, both are heavily planted. One tank with only fern and nana and the other with fast growing stem plant. I'm using drop checker to detect my CO2 level. To my surprise the drop checker in the tank with fern and nana turn from blue to yellow with 1.5bps. On the other hand the other tank needs 3bps to turn drop checker from blue to green. Everyone told me that 3bps for 2ft tank is way too much, but not according to my drop checker. Swapping the drop checker also gave the same result. Both are using the same external reactor and I'm certain it dissolve CO2 completely.

So seems like different plant have different CO2 intake rate.

What type of algae are you talking about?
    Last edited by Shadow; 30th Oct 2007 at 17:24.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Never heard of bps thumb rule before, not even sure if there is any.

I have two 2ft 5-plan tanks, both are heavily planted. One tank with only fern and nana and the other with fast growing stem plant. I'm using drop checker to detect my CO2 level. To my surprise the drop checker in the tank with fern and nana turn from blue to yellow with 1.5bps. On the other hand the other tank needs 3bps to turn drop checker from blue to green. Everyone told me that 3bps for 2ft tank is way too much, but not according to my drop checker. Swapping the drop checker also gave the same result. Both are using the same external reactor and I'm certain it dissolve CO2 completely.

So seems like different plant have different CO2 intake rate.

What type of algae are you talking about?
    My algae should be Staghorn. It look like black or dark green hair that stick on the leave of the plants.