Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Cheap way of making cheap Deep Sand Bed!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lightbulb Cheap way of making cheap Deep Sand Bed!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I just had an idea I wanted to share...

I was walking on the Goldfish Street when I saw something. The LFS there were using the thick (Around 02-03 inches) coarse wool (The hard type that looks like a sponge) at the bottom of the tank for keeping turtles...

They use it so that the turtles got a place to stand but yet stay moist...

I've always read that there are some people who have a 04 inch or more Deep Sand Bed (DSB) which is good for cultivating Beneficial Bacteria (BB)... But to make this you will need A LOT of subtrate!!!

I'm thinking why don't we use the sponge to create a base for our subtrate let say use a 2-3 inch thick piece sponge & then pour the subtrate on top of it...

For example mine is 3 X 1.5 X 1.5 tank, I will buy a sponge that measures 3 X 1.5 but I would remove maybe 1-2 inch from the sides of the 3 ft (36 inches) & 1.5 ft (18 inches) side, (You could also buy smaller pieces for use if cannot get one single piece it won't matter) so you will end up with 34 inches X 16 inches. The reason why I remove the bits at the end is because you can pour your subtrate in between the gap of the sponge & the side of your tank to fill it up. It gives the impression that your base is filled with sand but in fact you are using a sponge!!!

Then you can pour your subtrate over the sponge!!! Effectively I can save around 1-1.5 packs of subtrate for my setup!!! For smaller tanks you can create a maybe 03-04 inch DSB with whatever you are currently used for your tank!!!

You can create a DSB but yet not use so much subtrate & be able to cultivate BB at the same time... I will be using this method the next time I change the subtrate & at the same time create a DSB for my setup...

For around every inch I need for the base I need around a 9L bag of ADA (Which is not cheap) , if I used this method this will significantly reduce the amount of subtrate I need!!!

I just wanted to share my idea as the cost of the sponge is definitely cheaper than to buy the equivalent height in subtrate!!!

I hope everyone benefits from this idea...
    Last edited by Quixotic; 10th Nov 2007 at 21:14. Reason: Formatting

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    that's a swell idea bro
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Great sharing, bro . Thanks.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hate to burst your bubble, but if the substrate is not thick enough, it might not hold the plants down.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    think he is talking about moss tank.. not with those stem plant or any plants that need to be planted inside the roots i guess..
    Last edited by Quixotic; 10th Nov 2007 at 21:15. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Interesting idea

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter,

I am a little skeptical.

I am not an expert in DSB filtration and I most certainly do not mean to be rude, but I think the amount of sand is crucial, the upper level sand will house aerobic bacteria which will consume oxygen while doing their work, by the time the water reaches the lower level of the DSB, anaerobic bacteria will do their job. Part of the reason sand is used is it slows down the water flow for the process to be effective.

Using foam or filter mat in place of actual sand may not achieve the desired result functionally. Remember, you're not trying to fool the human eye when building the DSB, you actually want to have enough anaerobic bacteria to be present so that denitrification can take place.

But like I said, I am no expert, so if foam or filter mat can be used and yet achieve the same result, then what you have is really a great suggestion!

Cheers!
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    is a good idea but yet to be tested

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bossteck View Post
    Hi Peter,

I am a little skeptical.

I am not an expert in DSB filtration and I most certainly do not mean to be rude, but I think the amount of sand is crucial, the upper level sand will house aerobic bacteria which will consume oxygen while doing their work, by the time the water reaches the lower level of the DSB, anaerobic bacteria will do their job. Part of the reason sand is used is it slows down the water flow for the process to be effective.

Using foam or filter mat in place of actual sand may not achieve the desired result functionally. Remember, you're not trying to fool the human eye when building the DSB, you actually want to have enough anaerobic bacteria to be present so that denitrification can take place.

But like I said, I am no expert, so if foam or filter mat can be used and yet achieve the same result, then what you have is really a great suggestion!

Cheers!
    Yes you've got a point... But the top layers of the should be thick enough to consume the oxygen as well... The layer right on the top of the sponge should be able to provide a good environment for the anaerobic bacteria to grow if you have at least 2 inches of subtrate...

But like I said this was just an idea & I've not tried it yet as my setup is still very new (02 months old)... The problem is that I will not be able to confirm if the anaerobic bacteria is growing to my idea or something else... Well it's just an idea so if anyone tries this out & it works please share...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter,

You're absolutely right about the difficulty of confirming if anaerobic bacteria has colonized the DSB and are doing their job. I would like to know if you find out more too

Cheers
    - eric