Country
    Singapore

nutrients vs algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, algae expect out there,
    I have a 3 weeks old planted tank, the green algae start to grow on the tip of the leaves of Didiplis Diandra D.D.(hope I got the correct name)
    I tot this is due to too much nutrient in my tank as I just pour in a cap of JBL liquid fert.last week, however, I have some floating plant in the tank, the floating plant suppose to grow very fast if the nutrient level is too high, but they are not.

my otto, sae, 3 line pencil fish cannot help.

some other info I can give for my tank :
    30" x 15" x 15"
    2 x 36 pl light
    temp: 27c - 29c
    ph : 7

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

nutrients vs algae

I have a 3 weeks old planted tank, the green algae start to grow on the tip of the leaves of Didiplis Diandra D.D.(hope I got the correct name)
    I tot this is due to too much nutrient in my tank as I just pour in a cap of JBL liquid fert.last week, however, I have some floating plant in the tank, the floating plant suppose to grow very fast if the nutrient level is too high, but they are not.

30" x 15" x 15"
    2 x 36 pl light

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

nutrients vs algae

30" x 15" x 15"
    2 x 36 pl light

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

nutrients vs algae

30" x 15" x 15"
    2 x 36 pl light

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    In my opinion, algae bloom is normally caused by two factors light and nutrients. Too much of any of them, algae will flourish. By the way, how long do you keep your tank lights on ? 10 hours ? Just suggestion...Probably can switch off one of your 36W light if your plants do not require so much light.
    Next alternative is to buy yamato shrimps to eat the algae and a magnet cleaner to clean the surface of the glass.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/9/2002 4:38:36 PM

In my opinion, algae bloom is normally caused by two factors light and nutrients. Too much of any of them, algae will flourish. By the way, how long do you keep your tank lights on ? 10 hours ? Just suggestion...Probably can switch off one of your 36W light if your plants do not require so much light.
    Next alternative is to buy yamato shrimps to eat the algae and a magnet cleaner to clean the surface of the glass.
    ----------------
    I only on my light for about 8 hour, I did off one for the 1st 4hour since two days ago.
    I only have algae on the tib of my D.D. leaves not on the glass.
    Shall try changing water see how.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    C.Y.,

Any CO2? Whats the bubble rate? Are your plants showing signs of bubbling? Don't have to be like 7-up, as long as you see a stream of very fine bubbles from a cut stem or broken leaf, or bubbles under large leaves. Bubbling can start as early as a few hours after the lights come on or near to the end of the light period.

Describe the green algae... is it hairy or it's a slimy film? For the former, startve your fishes a few days. The latter, remove manually.

Algae indicates there's left over nutrients in the water and the plants do not have all the nutrients it needs to compete with the algea. So sometimes, the solution is not to reduce light, fert, etc, but to increase what is lacking.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/9/2002 4:55:52 PM

C.Y.,

Any CO2? Whats the bubble rate? Are your plants showing signs of bubbling? Don't have to be like 7-up, as long as you see a stream of very fine bubbles from a cut stem or broken leaf, or bubbles under large leaves. Bubbling can start as early as a few hours after the lights come on or near to the end of the light period.

Describe the green algae... is it hairy or it's a slimy film? For the former, startve your fishes a few days. The latter, remove manually.

Algae indicates there's left over nutrients in the water and the plants do not have all the nutrients it needs to compete with the algea. So sometimes, the solution is not to reduce light, fert, etc, but to increase what is lacking.
    ----------------
    Thanks vinz
    I only have diy co2, the plants only bubble during the first few day of new diy co2.
    Algea is hairy.
    Can I add the dr. mallicks k and mg next week?

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi C.Y.

Try to introduce some Malayan Shrimps as they will feed on the algea. That's what I did when my tank was attack by hairy algae.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/10/2002 10:21:27 AM

Hi C.Y.

Try to introduce some Malayan Shrimps as they will feed on the algea. That's what I did when my tank was attack by hairy algae.

----------------
    Thanks Au,
    Shall try to get some, but will the shrimps uproot my riccia, it just started to grow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can start adding K and Mg already. Both not known to cause algae. Are you adding other ferts yet?

Are you using a CO2 reactor, diffusor or bell?

What filter are you using? If it can be connected to a CO2 reactor, you might want to consider it as its more efficient at dissolving CO2 into the water.

OR

You might want to consider another DIY CO2, connect to the existing line. You alternately change each one. E.g. if you have to re-do your DIY CO2 every 2 weeks, then re-do the first bottle on the first and third week, and the second bottle on the 2nd and 4th week.

Yes, you should consider some shrimps, either yamato or malayans.

Otos do not eat hairy type algae... their mouths are more suited for scrapping flat algae then nibbling hairy algae. SAEs get lazy when overfed. Starve your fishes for a few days. The SAEs and pencilfish might go for the algae for food.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, Vinz
    now I am using an external filter connected to up brand 3 balls type reactor.
    I have two bottle of diy co2 but I redo both bottle at the same time. Shall try your advise.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yamato shrimp not good for riccia.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I've no problems with my Malaysan Shrimps. They do not nibble on the riccia. But if you have mosses in your tank, they will feed on the mosses as well if there is no algae fro them to feed on.

My 4ft tank consist mainly on riccia (normal type and those miniture)& mosses.

Au SL
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks