Looks like a snake variant endler....nice sized females to drop fries
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    wow! I've seen a picture of the male before in a book, yet had no clue that they were endlers! All I've seen color wise in endlers are the ones with the orange stripes and black spots. Guess I'll have to look them up to see what other colors have been bred! Thanks for posting the pic henritsai!
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can visit www.swampriveraquatics.com
    Adrian has many strains, pure and hybrid.....lovely and colorful fishes
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzleDiscus View Post
    wow! I've seen a picture of the male before in a book, yet had no clue that they were endlers! All I've seen color wise in endlers are the ones with the orange stripes and black spots. Guess I'll have to look them up to see what other colors have been bred! Thanks for posting the pic henritsai!
    Except that these aren't endler's in the true sense. The ones in the picture are hybrids, a cross between Poecilia wingei (endler's) and most likely P. reticulata (guppies).

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    hmm... I guess I havn't given Endler's much thought. I've rarely seen them around, and when I do they are mistreated and labeled as feeder fish. Thanks for the website Cacatuoides! I'll have to check into that.

They do look very similar to guppies. Is adult size the only noticeable physical difference between endler's and guppies?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Actually, it's most likely that Endler's themselves are hybrids. The only thing for sure is that P. wingei is a described species, distinct from P. reticulata (and that's not so sure - I wouldn't be surprised if the name is eventually relegated to synonomy w/ reticulata, considering the oriinal description). It ISN'T certain yet that Endler's are pure P. wingei. Reading John Endler's description of the fish, and the differences in behavior between the originals and those collected in 1998, and the different population makeup at Laguna de los Patos between Endler and Pou, it looks like Endlers are a unique hybrid population going off in their own direction. Neat stuff.
    Knowing others, one is wise; knowing the self, one is enlightened. In conquering others, one is forceful; in conquering oneself, one is mighty.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    ah genetics.

Lampeye is seems like you have a deep intrest in Endler's! Do you keep them?

I've checked out the website you posted Cacatuoides (and others websites as well). They are beautiful! great things can come from small packages that's for sure! My favorites would have to be the peacocks... of course!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Actually, the "peacock" pattern is typical of P. reticulata - Endler used that color pattern as an example of likely intermingling between ELB and guppies.

I've had Enlder's for a while, DD. I alternate between liking them and finding them boring (they're so prolific once they get going).
    Knowing others, one is wise; knowing the self, one is enlightened. In conquering others, one is forceful; in conquering oneself, one is mighty.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    yeah I know that the snakeskin/peacock pattern is typical of the guppies... The "black head tigers" (SwampRiverAquatics) are pretty cool too.

Yeah they are definately prolific- makes a good supplement to a cichlid's diet.