6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Bugs you might encounter in your aquarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    kickyourpoo: Should be the pupal cases of some sort of fly. Probably not mosquitoes, but one of those closely-related families such as midges or mothflies. These pupae look empty though, which probably means that the larvae had been developing in your tank for some time. Most likely harmless to fish and people.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks pseudogobiosis for they reply. So would you advice to just ignore it? It's weird as I have a powerhead working across the surface of the water. And insects actually manage to lay eggs in such rapid waters. Lol

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bugs you might encounter in your aquarium

Kickyourpoo: I think it's safe to ignore them; remove the pupae if you find then unsightly, but otherwise they're harmless, and the larvae might even have provided your fish with some extra nourishment!

There are some families of flies that prefer to breed in flowing water.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have seed shrimp and Freshwater Limpets in my CRS tank. Irritating, but controlled to a certain extent using the GUSH Catch Pen and bait.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, can you guys advice what bugs are these?

sorry if the pictures are not clear enough - did my best...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Seed shrimp haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Draka View Post
    Seed shrimp haha
    thanks for the confirmation...

think they killed moi plants... any advice to rid them? do they turn into shrimps??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Lol no they are a type of crustacean. Means any medication you use will affect snails and shrimp and any other crustacean. I'm not sure if they damage plants? Look around bah there should be some traps and other medication methods around here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Get these
    Indostomus and small cory,
    Not so helpful with big worms or baby snail though

Comparative size with hasbrosus and sakura

-----------------------------------------
    Visit and comment my L Tank and S Tank... <-- Click click !!
    Thank you

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mukyo View Post
    Comparative size with hasbrosus and sakura
    Nice pic!! Indostomus paradoxus are so freaking tiny to get sharp details of the fish. Very good comparison in size compared to their most popular tankmates!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Re: More!!:)Section 1

Next is something very familiar..
    the waterboatmen, these belong to the family Corixidae. They feed on Algae and very minute aquatic organisms..so maybe fry will not be in danger... Here is a picture of one..

Okay.. dont be confused..These next few pictures may look like water boatmen but they aren't.. they are backswimmers, family Notonectidae.
    These ARE predatory so they will eat your fry.. some will also "bite" and it can also be quite painful. The difference between these guys and waterboatmen?? well.. they aren't called backswimmers for nothing.. they swim on their backs!

Top view

Bottom view - they swim with this side facing up!!
    I have a little experience with both the boatman and backswimmers. The backswimmers bite stings just like a bee. It even has that lingering throbbing effect that takes a good hour to finally go away.

I showed a friend of mine something pretty cool once that applies to both species. We were next to a pond and I could see the critters swimming around. I took a net and dipped a few of them out and placed them onto the dry land. I told my friend "watch.....as soon as they are dried off enough they'll fly off into the sky." of course my friend thought I was full of it. But about 15 minutes later (maybe more), out came their wings and off they flew. I figure that's most likely how they get into people's pool....they don't just appear out of thin air, so they must fly to their new destinations. I've seen both species fly....pretty cool.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I got these really small whitish translucent bugs crawling on the glass walls of my tank. Too small to get a decent picture. They crawl around like ants but when i try to catch it or kill it with my tweezers, they jump away.

They don't seem to be able to swim. once off the tank, they drop to the bottom into the substrate and out of sight.

Anybody has any idea what they are?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's likely that you have a case of Ostracods or "seed shrimps". They are harmless but can be kept in control with traps and other methods.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    It's likely that you have a case of Ostracods or "seed shrimps". They are harmless but can be kept in control with traps and other methods.
    Thanks for the information. If they are harmless then I will just leave them alone.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I have searched every where . Tonight after cleaning my very small 4 gallon tank (i have some snails and plants in it) I found green worms on the plant leaves, the tank sides/surfaces and on the outside of the filter.

I thought it was just algae, i took one out on a skewer and it didnt do anything, i smashed it. Then i got my little magnifier out and looked at a large one, about 3/4 inch long, on the tank side.

I freaked out. The thing is very skinny, bigger than a hair.. perhaps a pencil line. Thats its shell, and inside you can see the worm, smaller than the shell, moving from end to end! Soo, this is the shell ==== and inside is the worm ---- worm is a fatter.. but you get the idea?

I got some new plants, oh about 3 weeks ago. I didnt clean them. Never occurred to me to do that. I also have these plants in 2 other 10 gallon tanks. I looked closely at them, and in the one with 2 separated male bettas, it looks like there are very tiny (-) green things on the leaves of on of the plants.

In the other tank, i dont see any signs yet.

In the small tank i usually let the stuff grow on the sides for the snails. So I didnt see those green worms. But tonight i was fed up because i couldnt see in the tank very well and scrupped down the front and two sides.

Then 50% water change and thats when i saw them. OK. Also, to the right of that one big one i was looking at? was a, well it looked like a bullet hole in glass, only this big * smaller than that. I could barely see it without the magnifier. Its white.

How do i get rid of them, will they harm fish? I wanted to put a fish in there tonight, she has become too aggresive the last couple days, needs new private space. (betta female)

After looking at all the pictures, im so grossed out, and i need to go to sleep but dont want to dream of.. .....

Thank you all for any info you can give me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi ahnay,

Does it look something like this?

If so, it is likely not a worm, but a midge larvae. The thing moving inside is the internal organs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Well, yes and no. Both ends look the same and same size. I dont see any head or end, it more just cut off. The think inside them is now undulating, and doesnt take up as much room, er as long as in that pic. But today (just woke up, couldnt go to sleep till 7am o.O) just looking at it to compare, the one above it? has a short white thing in side it, and looks um flatter. Now im so distrubed, looking close in the daylight, (more light) I see a bunch of them down in the pebbles, seem to be more upright. I wll look again, but it so creeps me out.

My little magnifier is just a cheapo jewelsers one? It had three one it but fell apart. OK im so sorry, im just so helpful right?

Thank you so much. That one, is now 1 inch i think, the part inside only takes up less than half of it.

NOTE: just saw a hair like piece of movement and ran to look. OK.. the worm inside of a shorter one, came out. It was grabbing somethin white and like .... putting it on the outer part? I think. I only saw it squirel out 2 times then it was just poking at the top and kinda.. plumping its nest? So to speak.

I read about this last night, they make the ? out of the stuff around them? ack I need coffee, then ill reread it all.. er, you know already right? and how do i get rid of them, and did they come in on the plants? I wish i could get of vid of that. Um will they hurt me?

When i was cleaning the tank last night, my vacuum got plugged, poked it out, and then it drained quickly, but the drain end? wasnt in the bucket and i got about 2 gallons 1.75 gals on the floor, lol. I assume if pieced of them were on the floor they couldnt survive? Or do i need to clean with vinigar.

Ok I looked at the one that came out again, it had another, vertical with it, and touching it. Now the top of it, looks very white, and it isnt moving. But the one next to it, has a VERY skinny and short wiggly worm in it, in the center. Im so confused

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Im sorry, dble posted, and cant delete the first one. I read your post again, no its not that. This would be, like that kinda of, only living inside green tunnel.

NOTE: just saw a hair like piece of movement and ran to look. OK.. the worm inside of a shorter one, came out. It was grabbing somethin white and like .... putting it on the outer part? I think. I only saw it squirel out 2 times then it was just poking at the top and kinda.. plumping its nest? So to speak.

I read about this last night, they make the ? out of the stuff around them? ack I need coffee, then ill reread it all.. er, you know already right? and how do i get rid of them, and did they come in on the plants? I wish i could get of vid of that. Um will they hurt me?

When i was cleaning the tank last night, my vacuum got plugged, poked it out, and then it drained quickly, but the drain end? wasnt in the bucket and i got about 2 gallons 1.75 gals on the floor, lol. I assume if pieced of them were on the floor they couldnt survive? Or do i need to clean with vinigar.

Ok I looked at the one that came out again, it had another, vertical with it, and touching it. Now the top of it, looks very white, and it isnt moving. But the one next to it, has a VERY skinny and short wiggly worm in it, in the center. Im so confused

Im sorry for so much chat about this. NOW i just looked again at that one, it came way out.. about I dont know, as it did it is segmented, and kinda clear and white. Inside they look perhaps brown.

Its as if they are building tunnels .. I looked at the mass, and one has a very long tunnel, and was stretching out to another? mating? couldnt see anything in the other one.

And the big one from the first mention last night? one of its ends is now on the white ameba thing, or vise versa. Perhaps the ameb will eat it? and there are more of those..
    Last edited by ahnay; 2nd Apr 2013 at 05:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm afraid we'll need a picture before we can make an educated guess at what you have. My 2nd best guess would be some sort of Tubifex worm

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I found this picture, they look very similar to the green ones in the last picture under the heading 'Annelids (Earthworms, leeches, tubifex, blackworms, whiteworms)." Yet the ones i have are not as full? These do not swim around at all, but are attached, stuck to the sides and the tiny glass pebbles in the bottom, the leaves, etc.

If they are tubifex, i understand fish can eat them, but i read someplace that they can carry a bad bacteria that can kill the fish. Further reading suggest they are not tubifex, as tubifex only have cacoons, and not tubes. Its not a glass worm, and its not a bloodworm. I do have a some tiny tiny flies, like fruit flies buzzing about the last few days after opening up the place to the spring sun and warmer days. I dont think its midge ? arent they big?

Found this "Unlike mosquito larvae, which live mostly at the water surface and depend on quiet water in order to breathe, chironomid midge larvae live at the bottom or on submersed plants and objects. The food of most species consists of plankton algae and decaying matter. Some species live in silt-covered silken tubes, which they spin either on smooth surfaces or in bottom sediments." from here. Its the fist time i have read that they can be green.

It states they hatch in 24-36 hours. So I doubt they came with the new plants? I dont know. I did find a small spot of gel on a plant in my other aquarium, just 2 days ago when cleaning and ankoring the java fern back down. I just thought it was the snail egg glue, that came with my very first plant purchase back in september.

Well it says they can live for a weeks to a year depending on species and time of year. So it is possible these came in with the plants. From this same plant seller i also purchased a lump of hornwort. So the hornwort could have come from a pond? and these eggs on it?

I dont know, what do you think?

And on another note. I mentiond i had white things that looked like a bullet hole in glass, only tiny. I looked at the leaves of the java .. not fern something else, just normal big green leaves growning on vine root, I can see the tiny white lines of this tiny white algae, sticking out, all down the edge of the leaf. I can see a barely see a circle and it has the lines radiating out from the edge of the outer line of the circle. It doesnt look like the hydra at all. As this is just flat. Wow i really should have read more about plants and what to do when they arrived!

Im paying for it now. Here is another site showing some but what i have, so far, doesnt look like any of those pics.

Ok, i need to get some work done. More info: that little tank is kept just for the snails and plants and cycled for 5 months. I keep it because i purchased too many snails for my two 10 gallons. I love those snails and i do over feed the tank, but also clean it every 3-4 days with about 50% wc.

Again thank you very very much for your help. Oh I dont live near any bodies of water, im in the desert in idaho.