4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Bugs you might encounter in your aquarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was at Seaview yesterday, saw containers of live earthworms packed with soil at their cashier counter, was told it costs S$10 per container.

The staff mentioned each container probably have 40-50 worms. All fat and juicy, looks like moving ramen noodles.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Was at Seaview yesterday, saw containers of live earthworms packed with soil at their cashier counter, was told it costs S$10 per container.

The staff mentioned each container probably have 40-50 worms. All fat and juicy, looks like moving ramen noodles.
    Yup saw that too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just stumbled across this pic in wikipedia.

Mayfly_nymph_dorsal_view_wing_buds_paired_gills.JPG

I think my previous infestication is mayfly nymphs. As i do have a lot of dead mayflies near my tank (they usually reproduce around april-june - frm wikipedia). They don't usually last more than a day in adulthood (sad), so they quickly mate/lay eggs and dies.

These are usually herbivores, although a few species they might be predatory (which species not stated).

"The nymphs are highly susceptible to pollution and can be useful in the biomonitoring of water bodies" - means my tank is clean!

Source : Wikipedia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Just set up a new 4gal tank. The carpet seeds has been growing for 1 week so I started to put water in it. And see these things crawling out from the gravel. It looks like a maggot, with black round tip and sharp tail. How to get rid of them? I need help desperately as this is the 3rd time to set up this tank. Thank you all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, i just set up a new shrimp tank that is around 1 month now. Saw this little fellow in my tank yesterday but couldnt ID it based on what i find so far, any one can help me with this unknown?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like gammarus (aka scuds), it's an amphipod and mostly harmless but can multiply fast and becomes unsightly in large numbers, hence viewed as pests.

It probably hitchhiked in with plants or LFS bag water, there will be more in the tank. Just do a google search to find out more.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi! thanks for the reply! appreciated! i was afraid they might be dangerous for my shrimps as there are currently berried shrimps and shrimplet in the tanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

G'day,
    Thanks for this excellent thread. It's very well written, and informative.
    I have learnt a lot, even though it's not the information I was searching for, but after a couple posts, I was hooked.
    I'm yet to finish it, but I will be reading it all within the next couple days

Cheers,
    Steven...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Oh my lord. Came here to see what the white things were on the glass. I got my answer, but yuck there are some nasty looking bugs in this thread. Hate creepy crawlies at the best of times but some of those just look scary. Thank you for the very informative thread

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Hi everyone,
    Recently I found many these white oval bugs in my fish tank. They move very slow like not even moving. They climb up on rocks and the glasses. Are they harmful to my fish or plants? Will they get more and more? How can I remove them? Thank you very much.

56962070_2309733352631236_6294594031955476480_n.jpg56595504_652462721857481_482029853281878016_n.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Romania
    Hello. for the first time I apologize for the mistakes of writing, I call from Romania and soon I noticed small thoughts in the aquarium. can you help me please ask them to identify them

I posted a video here https://www.facebook.com/groups/acva...4900169177513/
    Last edited by benny; 2nd Jun 2021 at 09:01.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Capture.jpgCapture1.jpg
    what are these? its as big as shrimplets, got many small legs in my shrimp tank... worried

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Hey everyone. Apparently there's no end to discussions about fish tank bugs. I recently ran into a problem with possible water mites. I had a Betta setup with multiple Bettas, their tanks separated and then the different sections connected via tubing to create a larger collection of water. I also had live plants in the "filter" section. I went to clean said tanks day before yesterday and there was thousands of tiny little black/brown bugs. They looked mostly round and they swam. They zipped around all over in the water. I tried to get a pic, theyre just too small. I set out to kill them and they were ridiculously difficult to kill. Tried hot water, then bleach. The bleach did the trick, but i had to use a pretty concentrated mix of bleach to do it. Does anyone have experience with these? I didnt add anything new to the setup, they just appeared. They spread to my two 2.5gallon hospital tanks. I tried putting tap water in them after siphoning, hope the chlorine in the tap water kills them. Could use some advice if someone else has dealt with them. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I am a firm believer that Mother Nature knows better than we do. I minimize the chemicals I use in my tanks, which means I have quite a few naturally occurring worms, planaria, infusoria, snails, amphopods and other "bugs" in my tanks.

This gives my fry plenty to eat, and acts as an early warning system regarding water quality.

If 'bugs', algae, plants, or snails get out of balance, then I know something in the environment is out of balance and I need to investigate. Four plus decades of fish keeping, and the process has never failed me like chasing water parameters and constant water changes did when I first started my aquarist journey.

Plus, betta like to eat those little black bugs which are in turn ingesting any decaying plant matter.

I even have a dedicated amphopod tank (scuds) and a dedicated green hydra tank, to help establish homeostasis in new tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Do they swim on their side? They look like amphopods (scuds): great detritus and decomposing plant cleaners and a good live food after gut feeding (I don't feed first generation, I try to quarantine first and second generation scuds and feed 3rd generation to prevent possibly introducing parasites).

Hope this helps!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789