1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Kh and ph for ada amazona soil

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, need advise what should usually be the kh and ph for tank with amazonia soil? Mine is kh 4, ph 6.7. I add some carbonate powder fr na to maintain kh 4 after water change. However i heard ada soil sho bring kh to 0 and ph less than 6. Confused if i am doing the rite thing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine is zero.
    But, why want to add Carbonate powder in the first place?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I always thought recomended kh is 3-5 and saw in ada books that many tanks r kh 3 or 4. Thats y i added kh up powder.. Thats that mean i should not add kh up powder?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My kh is zero too. Lfs and some books do recommend kh to be maintained at 3 - 5 to add as a buffer...if I remember correctly, its a buffer for ph crash & gh (I think). But since aquasoil maintains the ph at about 6.0 - 6.5.... I don't see my fauna being affected. So far so good.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by o2bubble View Post
    I always thought recomended kh is 3-5 and saw in ada books that many tanks r kh 3 or 4. Thats y i added kh up powder.. Thats that mean i should not add kh up powder?
    Hi, are your plants growing well? Are they showing deficiency that render you to up the kH in ADA substrate?

regards

thio

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Plants are doing ok and growing. I guess there no issues. Jus wondering if there wil be improvements or impacts if i do not add kh up and leave it as 0.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it is one of the features of ADA soils, "Helps to lower the hardness level of the water". Lower kH as Aquaculture said to buffer from pH crass but since ADA also have pH buffering feature, lower kH shouldn't be a matter.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pH crash is actually also a myth since we can no longer use a standard pH probe for pure water. You can use a drop checker to determine your CO2 level if that is your aim.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    After checking the parameters of those expert tanks and in ADA books. I believe the range of KH for ADA amazonia should be ard 2-4, being 3 the most common. I will aim for 3

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to bring up the old post. I've got this amazonia II soil and kh is 0. Due to kh is 0, my ph wouldn't be stable throughout the day. In the morning before the light is switched on, the ph sometimes would be low below 6 and after the light is being switch on for sometimes, the ph will climb to 6.5 Is that ok ? I have some crs in the tank. No co2. If I'm gonna bring the kh to 3 or 4, is it best to add calcium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate ? The gh in the tank is 6 so I wouldn't want to increase it again.