Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Advice needed on 4x1,5x1,5

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I could use some advice to understand how I can get my tank right. I have spent a lot of time on it and still doesn't seem to get there.

Setup:
    4x1,5x1,5 foot (120x45x45cm) = 250L standing out from wall (viewable from three sides)
    1cm of soil and substrate
    3-4 cm of Natural Monterey Beach Sand (8 mesh)
    Root monster near plants
    4x55W TO5 light (2 red and 2 white) on for about 9 hours a day
    9w UV light after filter (from NA)
    Pressurized CO2 with JBJ solenoid doing 1-2 bps in to a large external reactor after filter and before UV (from NA)
    5ml of Eiho fertilizer a day
    5ml of Eiho potassium a day
    Oceanfree Super 8000 bacteria
    Eheim 2224 with skimmer
    Weekly water change of up to 50% with de-chlorination added
    PH = 6-7
    GH = 2-3
    NO3/NO4 = ok (can't remember exact value but around zero)
    Temperature = 28 Celcius

Low - Medium bioload with 10 cardinals, two small red discus, 1 10cm discus ((symphysodon aequifasciata) 9 Otos, 5 corydoras, 2 clown loaches and 1 "shark fish" - don't know the name
    Mixed plants and moss (see pics)
    Two large pieces of driftwood

Problems:
    1) BBA - on driftwood and edge of leaves - starting to get better after introduction of 5 new Otos (they seem to eat it). I have asked about this in the algae section and it seems like I need to take driftwood out and leave in sun / chlorinate

2) Protein layer - skimmer works (sucks in leaves) but protein stays. I can disrupt/disperse the protein layer by adding bacteria and then take it out with a small bucket daily. How do I get rid of this problem?

3) Unclear water - as you can see from pictures the water has something floating in it and I can't seem to get rid of it even though I vacuum, remove dead leaves, do weekly water changes (up to 50%). I suspect that corydoras are part of the problem, but they seem fairly relaxed. Should I have a bigger filter? (water already flows from rainbar in one end towards filter intake in the other). Any suggestions?

I had one discus die (never seemed to start eating after introduction to tank) and I cant seem to get Yamatos to stay alive. If anybody have discus (symphysodon aequifasciata) the size of a Nokia N73 for sale I would be interested...

Any advice would be great!

Cheers

TheDane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheDane; 26th Nov 2007 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1) i don't think otos eat BBA. perhaps you should try using a syringe to spot treat the BBA infested areas with Excel? it's been known to kill BBA. but do be careful not to inject too much as an overdose can kill your fauna

2) i think having a protein layer is a normal occurance in planted tanks. a surface skimmer usually works do get rid of it, or you could try raising your rainbar above the surface to break the layer up. be warned the latter solution usually has the side effect of outgassing CO2

3) if it isn't bacteria bloom/green water, you could try using some products that clump tiny particles together to form larger particles so that your filter floss can trap it. Ocean Free Super Clear or something like that is an example. Try not to overdose it though, as it does tend to make the fish uncomfortable for an hour or 2 after dosing it. you could also try using a diatom filter or finer floss in your filter

i've had issues with keeping Yamatos alive in my discus planted tank too. Those that didn't die when introduced ended up being discus food...i've given up on shrimp in my tank! as for the discus that died, it might have been a weak one that didn't acclimitize well to your tank.

this is all i know from my very limited knowledge...i'm sure other more experienced people around could help you more!

1) Use Seachem excel which is very effective against BBA. But be careful of dosage as shrimps might be hurt. I've tried it on a BBA infected 4ft tank and it cleared up in 3 weeks with weekly water change and redose. Yamato shrimps were unharmed.

2) Surface skimmer will work. Adjust the intake properly and make sure no long surface leaves blocking the intake.

3) Bigger filter possible. The filter media plays an important part too. Use fine cotton wool to traps the small particles.
    ADA Clear Dash will be a better choice to clear the water if you go for the chemical way.

These should help, enjoy!
    Midori Pte Ltd :: Aquarium At Your Fingertips
    Web: www.midori-sg.com Email: [email protected] Tel: +65 6775 7376 Fax: +65 6773 6793
    Office: 354 Clementi Avenue 2 #01-203 Singapore 120354
    Self Pick Up Point: Buang Kok / Simei / Clementi MRT Stations