Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Best way to control Algae problem?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Best way to control Algae problem?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks, besides using sucker fish, what are the other ways to control algae problems?

are there any off-the-shelf solutions for adding to the waters?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi folks, besides using sucker fish, what are the other ways to control algae problems?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't use those algaecide stuff...will cost more harm than good. Look for the root of the problem..its either too much light and insufficient CO2 or too much of either nutrient. Most algae are cause by over-feeding (increase in phosphate level)..infrequent water changes or too high bio load (nitrate level too high)..too much liquid fertilizer added..high iron in water..and many others. Try to get yamatoes and otos in from the start to control the amount of algae as they don't bother about it once the algae grow too big.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the best way to control algae is to prevent it in the first place. its a very good method to put all measures to stop it from blooming rather then wait and say, 'aiyah got algae....how ah?'
    in my 5g planted tank i ensured that all signs are non-algae friendly. eg. 8hrs lights no more no less, 24/7 algae cleaning crew and no overdose of liq fert.
    hope this helps. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In my experience, the only way to control algae is to have healthy growing plants.

Nutrient control(limitation) do not really stop algae at least in my experience. I overdose my Flourish about 4~6 times the recommended dose. My PO4 is about 20 times higher than most people recommed. Result ==> no algae bloom.

To me, nutrient limitation to control algae does not make sense. When there is nutrient in the water, no matter how much or little, both algae and plants have the same access to it. And when I ponder over this, I reasoned that since algae has lower mass, they should need less nutrients than plants. If nutrients are limited, shouldn't plants be limited first rather than algae?

IMO, the key lies in providing the plants all that is neccessary for healthy growth: nutrients, light & CO2. As in the mechanism that keeps algae in check, it is still baffling the ppl around the world.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Some of the plants have algae control.... They actually secrete some chemicals which will control the algae growth. Can't quite remember all of them but I think that Hydrilla is one of them.... Will try to add to the list when I get my book back.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The term is "allelopathy". Ceratophyllum demersum is one such plant.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks