Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: algae on xmas moss

Feedback Score

algae on xmas moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Algae has started to grow on my christmas moss again and i was wondering what could be the possible reasons and how i can control the problem. As it is i already have malayan shrimp as my main control for algae. i used to add 2ml - 2.5 ml of jbl ferropol liquid fert daily but have since cut down to around 1ml every 2 days.since i spotted the algae i have stopped (about 2,3 days) adding the liquid fert.i am running on diy CO2 and lights are on for about 8 hours a day. the tank is a 2 ft tank and i have 17 fishes which i feed moderately once a day daily. the diy co2 is shut off at night by redirecting the flow with a control valve. today i shut off the co2 and did not turn on the lights in hopes of slowing down the growth of the alge.

can anyone tell me what could the potential cause be and how i can combat the growth of algae on the xmas moss?[:]

Feedback Score

algae on xmas moss

Algae has started to grow on my christmas moss again and i was wondering what could be the possible reasons and how i can control the problem. As it is i already have malayan shrimp as my main control for algae. i used to add 2ml - 2.5 ml of jbl ferropol liquid fert daily but have since cut down to around 1ml every 2 days.since i spotted the algae i have stopped (about 2,3 days) adding the liquid fert.i am running on diy CO2 and lights are on for about 8 hours a day. the tank is a 2 ft tank and i have 17 fishes which i feed moderately once a day daily. the diy co2 is shut off at night by redirecting the flow with a control valve. today i shut off the co2 and did not turn on the lights in hopes of slowing down the growth of the alge.

can anyone tell me what could the potential cause be and how i can combat the growth of algae on the xmas moss?[:]

Feedback Score

algae on xmas moss

Feedback Score

algae on xmas moss

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How much lighting you have?

What other plants do you have?

Any tests you did on your water?

BC

Feedback Score
    60 watts of lighting,java moss,xmas moss,mini sword and another fast growing plant...something difformis i think. test i did before about 4 days ago,ph test about 7.2 or below cos the test doesn't indicate below tt amount.[]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what kind of algae is it?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    i think it's bba...its kinda brownish black....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You have pretty strong lighting. You've got to keep up with your CO2 and nutrients.

I have never used JBL ferropol. BTW, what is the recommended dosage? Follow the recommended dosage.

I guess that you are turning on and off the CO2 manually. Be sure not to forget to turn on when you lights are on. This could be the problem.

Also ensure goo water circulation.

Happy planting.
    BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Errr... BBA is not brownish. It's just black.

BCLee is right, you should let your plants outcompete the algae. Give more light (10 hrs), CO2 (another bottle? reset each on alternate weeks to maintain a more consistant level) and fert (continue). Check your NO3 and PO4. If they are high, it helps to remove them (water change, normal amount, more frequent). With H. difformis in there, it could be N-limitation and PO4 high, but that's just my guess. How come your pH kit stops at 7.2? That's dangerous cause you won't know if your tank pH crashes due to CO2.

Help by manually removing the algae... including cutting of infected leaves if the algae can't be plucked off.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.