Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Project 6X2X2 Non CO2 Planted Monster Tank - Advice Needed!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Project 6X2X2 Non CO2 Planted Monster Tank - Advice Needed!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I have gone down the route of DIY CO2 in the past and had great success on my planted tank. Now I have a 6 X 2 X 2 with 4 feet sump and am eager to try out the Tom Barr's non CO2 method. Questions;

1. Will the tank too big for it? Is it advisable to get the GEX light green soil? The tank will be used to house some largish SA cichlid with HEAVY bioload.

2. Any suggestions to cover the overflow slid at the bottom before I pour in the substrate?

3. Tom Barr's Non CO2 method calls for non fertilizer, my understanding is that GEX light green is for planting and has some fertilizer in it. Is it a good idea fill the base with rocks first to limit the amount of Gex substrate required?

4. Basing on Tom Barr's method, how many WPG should I have for the lighting?

The idea of having a planted tank filled with monster fish swimming in it simply sounds exciting! Your help to make this possible will be very much appreciated.

FL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh what kind of largish SA cichlid are you considering, something like discus, angelfishes or something like Geophagus sp. etc. Some cichlids might move your substrate about or destroy your plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I suppose you want to keep the underflow as well. Get a piece of gravel plate to place against the inlet, make sure part of it extends above the substrate so the water can flow through. You can keep it in place with rocks and gravel or suction cups. Cichlids are great fans of home & decor, pick the right ones.