Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: algae and algae

algae and algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    getting lots of green algae everywhere, on the glass, plants etc. Clean them off then next week they come back again. Frog bits booming....

Plants not growing well.

Thinking of adding some fast growing ones. Anyone got suggestions?

algae and algae

getting lots of green algae everywhere, on the glass, plants etc. Clean them off then next week they come back again. Frog bits booming....

Plants not growing well.

algae and algae

Plants not growing well.

algae and algae

Plants not growing well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Plants not growing well => one or more nutrients are missing or in short supply OR not enough lights or CO2. Changed anything in the tank lately? Check your NO3, PO4. What ferts are you using? Could it be your base fert is exhausted?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

If base fertiliser gone then I add root tab will do right or you suggest I overhaul the tank?

Strip everything apart?

Age of tank only 2 yrs old.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Root tabs. Give the plants about a week to respond.

I only use tropica master grow. Tonight I go add root tabs. hor horti ones.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As far as I know, base fert usually do not exhaust so fast and until the extent that it will stifle the plant and causing algae bloom.

Fish dropings, fish food & Fe precipitates usually will keep the nutrients there. Of course, if you have plants like Echinodorus or Nymphea lotus, you probably need to pop a couple of the root tabs near the roots.

My suspicion is your frog bits are blocking too much light or your CO2 may not be sufficient.

Horti root tabs are risky. It caused PO4 in my tank to shoot up real high. If you have other limiting factor on your plant growth, you may end up with BBA.

Be careful.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BCLee,

About the high PO4 from high P root ferts... I don't think it's leeching. Occured to me a few days ago, it could be due to the fact that the plants are getting enough P from the root fert so they ignore P in the water. Diana Walstad stated in Ecology of the Planted Aquarium that plants prefer P thru the roots.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you know what i'm thinking, weileong?
    you never change water for a damn long time, den this happens
    right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz, in my case, the PO4 in the water has to be from the tab.

My PO4 level prior to adding Horti tabs was very stable at about 0.5ppm. After 1 week after adding it, pow... it went up to 40ppm. I then took the package and read the contents. All the PO4 are in "soluble phosphate". So that's why I confirm the Horti tabs to be the culprit.

BC

----------------
    On 10/17/2002 6:17:54 PM

you know what i'm thinking, weileong?
    you never change water for a damn long time, den this happens
    right?
    ----------------
    DEA,
    I very good boy one. Every week I change 10%-15% of the water.
    Hmm...... I started to add garlic powder to the fish food. Then I think after that I start to get this problem. Could be there is a lot PO4 in the garlic powder causing this problem?? My tank was quite stable, plant grow very well and little algae one before this thing happen. Guess just stop the garlic powder see how.

any good way to remove the PO4 from the water? Hmm.... let me go try find some way....

Should be able to find something to ion exchange and replace the PO4 ion heheh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sera has a phosvec product that will precipiate out the phosphate and your filter will catch the fog. (exactly what chemical is that? )

weileong, aren't there some good plants for soaking up excess nutrients? can't rem what now, things like hornwort, eleodia, or something like that rite? maybe just throw in a few of these? maybe as floating plants?

----------------
    On 10/18/2002 12:54:03 AM

weileong, aren't there some good plants for soaking up excess nutrients? can't rem what now, things like hornwort, eleodia, or something like that rite? maybe just throw in a few of these? maybe as floating plants?
    ----------------
    I think frogbits does that pretty well do they? You know my leopard doesn't seems to be growing at all... all 3 of them, still the same size after 3 months. Something is wrong.
    CO2 is sufficient, lights I've just changed one month ago running 6x36W FLs. kH abt 4-5 and pH maintain around 6.8 with pH controller which is calibrated monthly.

Guess I'll try adding in some fast growing plants. Floating ones better or those non floating ones?

I think add more alage eating fish will be good too. 50 mollies sounds great eh? heheheh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    As for frogbits,
    I introed them into my tank, At firt it was ok. After the frogbits grew more, somehow my fish not very happy after that. At the same time the tank conditions deteriorated. Did not reliased at first, until my wife commented that the frogbits were quite unsightly so I removed alomost everything. Tank condition improved. I have no explantion why it's like that... maybe it's the frogbits, but cannot confirm.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    think frogbits are very nitrate hungry.
    consumed 20ppm of nitrates in less than 2wks in my 2.5' tank.
    my observations:
    changed water and measured nitrate to be 20ppm, phosphate about 0.5ppm and
    iron about 0.5ppm.
    left tank to it own devices for next 2 weeks due to work.
    time to change water and saw 'yuks' looking frogbits.
    all older leaves turned yellow or dead and younger leaves have checker board pattern.
    before change water, measured nitrate to be 0ppm, phosphate about 0.5ppm and iron about 0.25ppm.
    thomas liew

I will remove the frogbits (left one or 2 small ones) then keep their population in check see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast