Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fluval FX5: first impressions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Well I bit the bullet and bought this filter today. I noticed noone's reviewed it or had any feedback on it when I asked, so I'm writing about my first impressions of the filter after having set it up. I'm comparing it with an Eheim ProII 2028 as that was my previous filter, and Eheims are known to be the best canister around, so why compare it with anything but the best?

First thing that strikes me when the box was opened was that this filter was HUGE. It made my Eheim ProII 2028 look tiny in comparison. I'm bad with estimates, but I'd say all in it's double the size of my Eheim? Next thing I looked for was the build. While some overseas forums I read said that Eheims felt more solid than Fluvals, I'd beg to differ with this filter.

The canister housing reminds me of a large garbage bin, and it feels thicker and less brittle than my Eheim. When I was carrying my Eheim to the backyard to wash, I was always afraid that it would break if I was too rough, and I knew for sure that it would shatter if I dropped it filled with water. With the Fluval, I actually think that the filter might survive intact if I were to drop it while carrying it to the backyard for maintenance. The cover of the filter is less heavy and "solid" than the Eheim, but that's because the Eheim has its motor and impeller in the cover itself, while with the Fluval, it's just a cover and nothing more. Again, the material feels more sturdy and less brittle than an Eheim.

Setting it up was a cinch. Took me about an hour all in, including the measuring and cutting of the hoses, and uninstalling the Eheim from the tank. What took alot of time was the sawing of the intake pipe as the provided pipe is too long for a 2ft depth with about 2-3 inches of substrate at the back. I sawed of about 1.5 inches and it was perfect. Priming is a thing of the past, as what this filter does is to start up for 2 minutes, then switch itself off for 2 minutes to purge out the air, then it starts up again. No problems encountered at all...the filter primed itself up in 4 minutes and I was good to go! I love the fact that I don't have to kneel under the tank to press on the big button on top of my Eheim anymore. It also shuts itself off every 24 hours to purge itself of air, so you have no need to worry about airlocks ever!

The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of media space. What took up ALOT of the huge canister was sponges. The canister has 3 large trays inside, but the way it is made is that there are 3 large rings of sponges surrounding each tray, leaving not much space in the middle for biomedia like Efhi SubstratPro or Biohome. I might have gotten my numbers wrong, but I think it has like 2-3x more sponge than space for biomedia. I used my Eheim's biomedia (seeding the filter so I won't need to re-cycle the tank) and I feel that the amount of media in the 2028 is actually enough to fill the FX5. Disappointing given that the internal capacity of the filter is probably twice that of the Eheim. I can probably fit some more media in, so perhaps it's more accurate to say that the biomedia capacity of the FX5 is like 1.2-1.3 times that of the 2028? Definitely less than 1.5x capacity. The sponge, however, seems to be a hybrid between the coarse biosponge of the Eheim and the finer wool sponge for mechanical filtration. It's made of the same tough material as the biosponge, but it's alot less coarse and thus can act to trap particles as well. So it doubles up as both bio and mechanical filtration. That makes up very slightly for the low bio filtration capacity.

Flow wise, given that the FX5 is rated at 2300li/hour compared to the 1050li/hour of the Eheim, I can safely say that it's a HUGE difference that I'll need to get used to. I'm used to my tank having very sluggish flow, but the reason I bought this new filter is because the slow flow was causing me many problems. After the slowing down of the flow due to media and gunk (despite what some supporters might claim, Eheim's advertised flow *IS* still higher than its actual flow. Not as drastically lower as compared to some other brands, but there still is a dip), I'd estimate my flow to be closer to perhaps 900li/hour? That gives me slightly over 2x volume every hour, which is 1/2 to 1/3 what I need for a planted tank isn't it? So after giving allowance for slowing down, the FX5 gives me 4-5x volume every hour which is perfect!

Another disappointment is the hosing provided. 25mm diameter and ribbed hosing = inline equipment nightmare. I won't be using my ISTA mix-max CO2 reactor due to the difficulty in connecting a ribbed hose (I probably have to buy hose fasteners) as well as the huge slowing down of flow caused by the input/output size of 12mm on the mix-max. Even my Eheim using 16mm hoses needed to be stepped down. I went to buy an Ocean free large diffuser today, and I will be using the misting method with it by putting it under the filter outlet (question: is this misting method effective in distributing CO2?). I might be DIYing an external reactor with custom hose sizes just for the Fluval if I find the time. I'll create another thread in the near future with my design plan and I hope for your feedback on that!

Finally, the Fluval is NOWHERE near as quiet as the Eheim. The Eheim wins hands down in this department. I can hear the buzz of the filter quite clearly with the cabinet door close, while with the Eheim I heard no noise unless I was sitting or squatting next to the filter during tank maintenance.

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with my filter. It's been installed for only 30 minutes so I can't give a more detailed review on its capabilities or reliability, but I think I can safely say that for a very slight premium in price over a brand new Eheim ProII 2028, it was worth the switch for me. I'm not sure if the flow will be as good as having 2 lower rated filters at each end, but I'll play around with that over the next few weeks I guess. As it is, the area around the outlet is very turbulent, so hopefully that means good flow throughout the tank?

I would like to test out water changing with this baby as it's probably going to cut my water changing time down from 1 hour to 10 minutes, due to the fact that it can act as a water drainer for me, and I won't have to rely on gravity to pull water out of my tank at a snail's pace. This will probably happen over the weekend or Christmas morning. I have to go buy a 25mm diameter hose long enough to reach my backyard first (recycle water for the lawn!).

I was to reiterate that I LOVE THE PRIMING ON THIS FILTER! This and the reduced maintenance are probably the best features on this filter, and if Fluval ever decided to make smaller rated filters with the same features, I'd have no qualms about being a Fluval loyalist. As it now stands, I'm caught between using a Fluval FX5 or 2 Eheim Pro2 2028s for my next 4x2x2 tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    big investment is this for the tank downstairs or is it for a new tank?
    Cube tank lover

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good for you yi xiang!

I'm glad that you have the FX 5 now. When i saw the size at Pet Mart, i was awed by the sheer size. Noise wise, i guess as long as we long sleep beside the tank, it should be allright.

Jaws:
    the FX5 is actually not that huge a investment if you look at the advantages of not having to do priming which means savings in time. Time savings is at any time more effective and efficient if you were to ask me. The reason i utilise a sump for my 422 is because it saves me time so that i can have money for other things. Since set up, my 422 has only under gone one 70% water change and 2 10 % water change and my plants and fishs are doing well

my subsequent 2 422 will be on fx5.

Cheers and Merry Christmas and wonderful New 2008 for all!
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 21st Dec 2007 at 13:56.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm looking at FX5 too for my 4.5ft tank and also considering getting a used 2028 due to budget. I currently using a 2236 and a 2026 for 2 of my smaller tanks. Wanted to decom and transfer both over but was advised its not strong enough.
    Cube tank lover

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The FX5 is for the 4x2x2 downstairs. a 2028 alone is definitely not enough to filter that tank and caused me lots of problems. if you run a 2028 + a 2026 on your 4.5 foot tank it's possibly sufficient.

In terms of investment, the FX5 costs 10% more than a brand new 2028 and is probably double the price of a used 2028 in good condition

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi illumnae, you mentioned the FX5 will stop for 2minutes during priming to purge any air out. Can I ask is the filter controlled by some computer chip or something? Otherwise, how will knows when to stop and purge the air?

Asking because the eheim2078e has such a function.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, it's controlled by a microprocessor. It will auto switch off and purge for 2 minutes every 24 hours. Further, whenever you switch the filter off and back on again, it will auto-prime by running for 2 minutes, switching off for 2 minutes and purging the air before switching on again for 24 hours. I know it works as i was standing there watching when i first switched it on. I filled it 2/3 full of water so i know there was definitely air in there. After the initial 2 minutes of running, the filter stopped and lots of air came rushing out of the filter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh mine...and you says it cost only 10% more than a eheim2028? Oh very competitive...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very much so =) Eheim comes with a premium placed on the name alone, but of course it also comes with peace of mind that your filter will definitely last you 1-2 decades Fluval is a good brand, but i don't think that same longevity applies, and thus it's priced lower accordingly.

however, as a filter that i've been using for just a few days, i'm very very pleased with the performance for the price i paid

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi YiXiang,

Now I know why you decommissioned the 2028! Well, I'm very happy for you with the FX5. I'm very happy with the 2028 that I bought from you. I'm running it with my other 2028 in my 4x2x2 planted tank. One 2028 is not enough, as other members have mentioned. I was getting algae in certain areas and I figured it might be due to poor water circulation. Its up and running, with only half of some existing Eheim media from my first 2028, which I have swapped out for some Dennerle Turbo-chips and Biohome.

Too bad we could not meet up. I would have loved to see your setup.

Regards,
    SC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    is the filter foam cheaper as well?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by s1c1lee View Post
    Hi YiXiang,

Now I know why you decommissioned the 2028! Well, I'm very happy for you with the FX5. I'm very happy with the 2028 that I bought from you. I'm running it with my other 2028 in my 4x2x2 planted tank. One 2028 is not enough, as other members have mentioned. I was getting algae in certain areas and I figured it might be due to poor water circulation. Its up and running, with only half of some existing Eheim media from my first 2028, which I have swapped out for some Dennerle Turbo-chips and Biohome.

Too bad we could not meet up. I would have loved to see your setup.

Regards,
    SC
    haha yep, exact same problem we both had - only 1 2028 running on a 422, and it's not enough! i had cabinet problems and couldn't add in another 2028, so i had to let it go and replace the filter with a FX5 instead to create enough flow in the tank. Glad the filter's serving you well =)

there's always next time, you're welcome to drop by whenever i'm home

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Illumnae,
    Thanks for the writeout on the FX5, I was also interested in that filter a couple of months back. I'm curious though why you chose to compare with a Pro 2, 2028 instead of a Pro 3? You could get a Pro 3 for close to $5xx with media included which means plug and play, flowrate is comparable to FX5( very close ) and as mentioned noise level is hands down.

Now don't get me wrong here, the FX5 is still a great buy but design wise I just feel falls a little bit short. For the Pro 3 you get double intake, great flowrate for a 4x2x2( only use 1 filter and additional of 10watts only compared with a 202. If you are in mind to create a biotope, the Pro 3e with programmable flowrate might be the way to go and you could still get that below the $6xx mark.

PS:I have no affliliation with Ehiem or its distributor but I have a 2215 which is 18 years old( change o ring once everything still working fine )all in all, pro2 and 3 about 10 in service now excluding hang-ons and internals. I keep some delicate fishes( which are dear to me )so I really require peace of mind. One thing to note though, if you keep plecos, clogging is inevitable as they really shit alot but decrease in flowrate is acceptable whereas other brands I've tried, the flowrate slowed to a drip.

All said, I feel the FX5's design is still refreshing and there might be something I could learn here so kudosfor the writeout and please keep us updated if possible in the near future.

Cheerio...
    seasons greetings
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I chose to compare with the Pro2 as that was my only basis for fair comparison - it's the only other filter i've ever used i chose the FX5 over the pro3, first and foremost because of the price. 10% over the rrp of a 2028 is much more attractive than $6xx which is almost double what i paid. secondly, the ease of water changes is what slanted me towards the FX5. with the way the filter is set up, using the filter itself to drain water from the tank is a breeze and now instead of taking almost half an hour to drain 50% water in my tank, i do it in like 3 minutes.

i've heard all about the longevity of eheims of course, but in this instance, i guess i wasn't willing to pay the premium (eheims cost at least double the price, and in some instance even up to 5x the price of equivalent rivals) given a lower flowrate (1700 li/hour vs 2300 li/hour rated, and even with media all in the pro3 still rates lower, as tested by someone else on another forum) and the ease of water changes with the Fluval.

Besides, eheim has been given so much good press here, i think not many people try out other reliable brands. I know Rena and Fluval are given good ratings by hobbyists in the States...so why not give it a shot?

i will try and keep everyone updated as to my long term impressions of the Fluval FX5. As it is, i'm already annoyed by the inconvenience of running things inline due to the awkward hose size. Had to change from CO2 reactor to a diffuser because of this.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm....I see. Okay fair enough. Anyway, wait till the filter is 3-6 months old and when the filter medium is 'ladened' we will know the answer. Thanks for the info.

cheers
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Would appreciate if you could take some photos of the filter in action to let us drool over it.

I noticed that when most people want to get a cannister for big tanks, they usually talk abt the Eheim Pro 3 and now FX-5 and i was wondering why nobody suggested comparing the FX-5 with the eheim classic 2260. It has a pump output of about 2400L/hr (slightly more than the FX-5) with 18cm3 of filter vol, though i must say the power consumption of 65W is quite high.
    Last edited by aquarius; 26th Dec 2007 at 03:18.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah better still..we go your house to view can? you demo to us and explain how good is your FX5 then we all love to drool salvia and green with envy. We sure prompt to buy one next year and we start another FX5 Thread, huh?

agree?
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ok can

entry fee $15 ok? Cheaper than underwater world. special price just for you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    why not...get more advise from you the guru...money is not the matter.i pay you and treat me kopi, can!
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    advice is charged separately. $15 entry fee only. extra for food and drinks too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast