Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this simple DIY CO2 reactor work?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Will this simple DIY CO2 reactor work?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Due to my very recent upgrade to a Fluval FX5, I'm unable to use my current ISTA mixmax CO2 reactor anymore. There's a lack of CO2 reactors with 25mm inlet and outlet tubes, so i was thinking of DIYing a very simple reactor to work with my canister.

The design i used was based on the commercial CO2 rector mentioned in this thread:http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ighlight=mixer

I will be using 1-inch diameter clear pipes to make the inlet and outlet tubes, and the usual soft airline tubing for the CO2 nozzle and to hold the airstone. Do you think this will work? The filter is rated at 2300li/hour and i'll probably be maintaining the CO2 at 4-5bps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    anyone can advise?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my experience with lock and lock container is not really air tight. furthermore you will be having problem in gluing the inlet and outlet pipe. why don't you get the NA reactor? or DIY similar one using those drinking water filter.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I need a 25mm connector due to filter constraints (hard to step down a Fluval FX5 hose, plus i don't want to reduce the flow so much by stepping down)

What size fittings does the drinking water filter come with?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the fittings are usually 16/22.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so that's another no go for me how well would the CO2 misting method with a diffuser work with a 2300li/hour outflow =) the fluval FX5 doesn't use a rainbar but instead uses 2x rectangle nozzle things

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you are right the biggest hose connector for those water filter is 19mm inner diameter.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i dont see why this wont work...but what is really important is the seals...if you can achieve good seals at the inlet/oulets then i dont see why this is not feasible...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    someone pointed out that Lock&Lock containers aren't 100% watertight, so that will pose a problem. Guess i'll have to source for a better container before proceeding with this =)

in terms of seals for the inlet/outlets, i'll be using what i use to connect my filter itself, so it should be pretty secure

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i thought lock and lock are 100% air tight...at least i think they are supposed to be.

hmmm....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe it is with normal air pressure but it is different when you start adding water pressure from inside.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you can use some aquarium silicone to seal up the container? I thought I have seen some other forumers using such a method.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sheesh.... work is really keeping me away from my hobby
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah i got the Lock&Lock idea from plantedtank forum actually. He DIYed a canister filter with a small round one...but i guess with a canister that size, the powerhead he used was probably 200-300li/hour...if i'm going to go at 2300li/hour (the rating of a Fluval FX5), the Lock&Lock might very well explode

does anyone have suggestions for an outer casing?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Congratulation! you really got your new Fluval FX5 for your Xmas present!

I suggest you to use PVC grey container with screw cap where you can purchase from jalan besar area... look at Bioscope of Boon Keng. The uncle cleverly designed for both pre filter cansiter and as well as C02 diffuser.

But PVC grey pressurised container does come cheap either.

Why not option for another type C02 diffuser which has similar design which only cost around SGD 40-50, the same brand for pre filter canister which am using now.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    do you mean a CO2 reactor? =)

does the brand of your CO2 reactor come with large enough inlet and outlet tubes so that a Fluval FX5 can fit into it? the reason i'm not using the commercially available reactors is because they are made for 12mm hoses and will drastically reduce my flow, negating the whole reason for switching filters. I want to get a reactor that will have minimal impact on my flow rate so that i can still maintain 4-5 times of volume flow per hour.

and yep i did get my new Fluval FX5, but not as a Christmas present

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can easily get the reducer fittings for your Fluval FX5 to CO2 reactor like this tank > FX5 > CO2 reactor > tank. This CO2 recator is as big as water jug. This unit will not reduce your FX5 flow rate. or maybe 10% less.

If not you can option for another high pressure pre filter canister with the blue cap normally use for water cooler or whatever. This come with a huge nipple connector especially for your FX5. But you need plastic black bio balls to dissolve your C02

There is no way ...you can DIY high pressure pre C02 reactor unless you have time to hunt similiar high pressure C02 reactor
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i was given the impression that diameter reducing fittings would invariably reduce flow. Perhaps you could PM me more details about your CO2 reactor?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I wouldn't dare to anyhow DIY with 2300l/h

Those lock&lock start leaking with 600~800l/h, can't remember which one I used last time for DIY canister. The plastic material used for lock&lock somehow can't be glue with silicon
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ok guess i'll either use eddy's reactor or stick with my ocean free diffuser and hope the misting method works. i gotta go buy a check valve and more tubing before i can connect it

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro,

Just went to PolyArt near C328, found the brand that i recomend is Jaqno C02 mixer can be use for high pressurised canister. This one has inlet /outlet valves, noticed the valves is about 15mm diameter, but you can use the reducer adapter 15mm to 19mm. The flowrate will be reduce by at least 10% anyway this not much different, your FX5 has powerful flowrate. I cannot imagine the water will like a miniwhirlpool type within your 422 tank.

hope this will help you ..
    cheers
    eddy planer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast