Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Adding a sponge filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just bought a sponge filter from a LFS. Is it oki to put it into my already cycled tank with a sponge filter in it. Reason putting it as i'm scared of the high bioload in the tank and afraid that one filter is not enough. Anyway, if i want to add the sponge filter in, whats the correct way of putting it in?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 18th Feb 2008 at 21:02. Reason: SMS lingo: 'wanna'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What is your existing filter in the tank now? If it is canister, then i think some sponge filter can attach to the inlet to the canister filter. Maybe you can take some photo of your existing filter and the current one you bought.

But if you were to just put a sponge filter using a air pump in the tank, I think there will not be any ill effect. So should not be a problem.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm currently using a sponge filter, those using a air pump with it. Do i need to use aged water to clean the sponge filter first before putting it into my tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess that would be good, as you do not want to introduce any chlorine/chloramine compounds into your tank.

But as for myself, I just use tap water treated with anti-chlorine to rinse my filter media..

I guess the advantage of using aged water is that there may be Beneficial Bacteria (BB) in the water, thus helping to re-colonise the BB colony quicker. I achieve the same effect by using bottled BB culture.

Hope this helps!