Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Micro-lobster" available in Singapore?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

"Micro-lobster" available in Singapore?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was surfing the net and saw this website. http://www.fukubonsai.com/micro-lobster.html

It's called Halocaridina rubra. Anyone have experience with this or know where to get it locally.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Heads up for the interesting link!
    Looks more like a prawn then a "lobster" to me but still...cute nonetheless
    Their mini bell like tanks with the "seamount aquascapes" looks damn good too,imagine the possibilities once the guys here get a hold of them!
    Hope someone here could possibly identify the species?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thats the shrimp that they sell in those self contained "eco-sphere" a totally sealed glass sphere, in reality they don't do very well there, they don't breed. The science centre has one large sphere with many of them. They do have a very long life span, one of my friend have one that lived for years. The website is repackaging them in a new way, at least it isn't totally sealed and it assures you that you can breed them.

The website identifies them as Halocaridina rubra Holthius 1963
    Last edited by Quixotic; 27th Dec 2007 at 20:03. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    slightly off topic here, but are the self contained spheres with these shrimp in them sold locally? i remember seeing it years ago in the science centre, but i'm not sure if they're still available

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    slightly off topic here, but are the self contained spheres with these shrimp in them sold locally? i remember seeing it years ago in the science centre, but i'm not sure if they're still available

yes. they are still there.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    It's some biosphere of sorts if i'm correct...A self contained and sustaining culture that requires NO maintaining whatsoever? Come to think about it, that's one of the very 1st things that made me go "whoah" as a kid whenever i visited the Science Centre for my field trips! Guess that's what eventually led me to aquariums as a hobby?
    Yixiang, you interested? I work pretty near the science centre anyway, will pop in one of these days to check out the availability of those "eco-spheres". Will update again when i check it out. Bet it'll look damn cool at an office deco!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup i'm interested please do let me know when you check it out and i'll make a trip down there if they still have it. I tried claling them a couple of months back about it, but the staff were clueless

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do update if you discover anything aquanatix. I'm more interested in looking at it than buying it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I work at the science centre and they don't sell the shrimp biosphere, if they did, it was a looong time ago. Btw the shrimps aren't doing very well in the sphere, their numbers are dropping, but i can attset to their longevity, my friend with a small one has a shrimp that has been alive for more than, I think she said 4 years!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you guys talking about Hawaii Volcanic Red Shrimps in those biosphere? acctually those biosphere are torture sphere.. as Hawaii Volcanic Red Shrimps can live for a VERY VERY long time... they simply go on starvation in the biosphere.. i read that the algae/food in the sealed biosphere is not enough to feed the shrimps.. they go for starvation for a few years before they die off.. this shrimps can tolerate freshwater to full strength marine.
    and tempreature as high as 32C.

life span of a welly feed/kept Hawaii Volcanic Red Shrimps can live over 10 years...

hope you guys won't get this biosphere.. or rather a torturesphere.. price don't come cheap too.. if i don't remember wrongly, they were over $500 for a numbers of Hawaii Volcanic Red Shrimps in the toreture sphere...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm...cruelty aside,it does look pretty cool wouldn't you agree?
    If anything, came across their URL http://www.eco-sphere.com/home.htm
    Evo is right though,they are kind of expensive.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 4th Jan 2008 at 01:48. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey bros...the shrimps are called 'opae ula'...they are extremely hardy shrimps from hawaii...heres the link to the video of the ecosphere at the science centre: YouTube - Giant Ecosphere

If anyone knows where to get them locally, pm me right away...thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
    life span of a welly feed/kept Hawaii Volcanic Red Shrimps can live over 10 years...
    Hope to revive this topic as I find this species of shrimp really amazing. So how do we get this shrimp to keep as a proper pet? Where do we get this from? I've searched everywhere in Singapore but still cannot find it...I would really really really do anything to keep this magnificent shrimp as a pet. =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    interesting lobster....i am sure this will definately caught another wind here if available....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if i`m not wrong i saw this at pet mart at serangoon north.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kian View Post
    if i`m not wrong i saw this at pet mart at serangoon north.
    Erm...are u sure the species is Opae Ula? I think what u saw was probably cherry shrimps. Can u re-confirm? If it's confirmed, i'll fly there immediately and wait for the shop to open...HAHA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberkid2 View Post
    Erm...are u sure the species is Opae Ula? I think what u saw was probably cherry shrimps. Can u re-confirm? If it's confirmed, i'll fly there immediately and wait for the shop to open...HAHA
    sighs...bro,cherry and mini lobster can tell that there is a different by a look??=.="anyway i did saw them at pet mart kept in glass jarred
    Last edited by kian; 25th Nov 2008 at 02:03. Reason: spelling error

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    You probably saw Cambarellus patzcuarensis "orange".

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    You probably saw Cambarellus patzcuarensis "orange".
    Sorry,you refers to me?CPO and "mini-lobster"the different is bigger then cherry shrimp?so i guess i did not see wronglyCheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The are brackish / saltwater. Also they may be listed by CITES as Threatened.

I know there is at least 1 person breeding these shrimp in Singapore, He has videos on Youtube, search for Opae Ula. But he will not trade or sell any shrimp. Some elitist BS I believe.

He claims to have hand carried them out of Hawaii himself.

Also might want to read this first:
    http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.html

From the Fukubonsai site:
    EXPORT TO FOREIGN COUNTRIES To date, Fuku-Bonsai Micro-Lobster units have been cleared to handcarry to Japan and Canada. It is likely that they can be cleared for other countries in the future. But to export to foreign countries it will be necessary to obtain a US Fish & Wildlife Import Export License. Besides the annual license fee, there is a $55 inspection fee per shipment whether the shipment is a single retail unit or a container load. This will make foreign export challenging but we will address the challenges if we find the right foreign partner-associates.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 26th Nov 2008 at 04:41.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast