Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

"Low Tech" Lighting needs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, my 2x1.5x1.5 is currently cycling. I'm currently using a single tube 15W FL with unknown colour temperature (It looks pinkish though). My tank is non-co2 (with occational excel dosing) and rather heavily planted. Nutrient will come from fishes and Seachem Flourish. I intend to up my lighting, and have a few questions:

1. What's the ideal lighting considering my given parameters.

2. What colour temperature is suitable for the plants.

*Note that i have to stick to FL cos i have 2 existing FL fixture.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1. Your tank is 121.5 litres or about 30 gallons in volume. Going by the 1.5-2WPG rule of thumb, you'll be looking at 45-60 watts of light over your tank - that's 3-4 15W FL bulbs.

2. if your light looks pinkish it's probably the wrong colour temperature. try and shoot for white light (6700k seems to be the commonly used one) instead.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    With budget in mind, i'll have to stick to 2 x 15W with my existing fixture, at least for the time being. Is the pink light totally unusable?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Think pink light are usually used for marine tanks. Not too sure what it's actual purpose for but its mostly a live rock or coral display. Think its like 5000Kelvin or so... as illumnae try to up the kelvin. The more white you want it, the more kelvins. I'm using a 8000kelvin and there are also 10, 000 kelvin in the market. If I'm not mistaken heat intensity increase respectfully (very moderate only) but can be easily resolved by a fan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems like the main issue is the Kelvins. In that case, will a 'aquarium brand' 10,000K be any difference from say a 10,000K from National? You know, the cost difference can be quite alot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Blue is the one used for marrine. Pink probably just for fun , I shaw those parot fish tank have pink light bulb.

I'm using 6700K and 7000K. I'm not sure if same Kelvin have the same spectrum or not. If you hapen to read book from library, it will tell you that plant use blue and red spectrum (green was reflected that is why plant is green), in addition photosynthetic ability is most sensitive to red light.

Now if you go to OSRAM web side and do some search you will find that those light for hydroponic (NATURA, BIOLUX, FLUORA) have higher blue and red spectrum. Not sure if you can buy this type of light locally.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Got a 55W PL light from C328, hope it finally solves my lighting problem.... My light is now 2.29W/G w/o Co2.. hope got no problem!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    may i ask if there is a difference between a 7w 7200k light and a 13w 6400k light? i know one measures intensity and the other temperature, but which is better for a 1ft low tech planted tank? ideally i would prefer a 11w 7200k light but i can only make do with either one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    with small tank, the 3W per gallon rule does not apply. IMHO measuring lux per square inch is make more sense.
    http://rexgrigg.com/mlt.html

Also check out the following link, scroll to the end but don't be surprise to the answer
    http://www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html

Anyway, what plant are you planning to have?
    Last edited by Shadow; 30th Dec 2007 at 00:33.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/