Country
    Singapore

Maintainance for Glossostigma elatinoides lawn

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

Been having glosso for some time now and it has developing into a lawn. Beside the occassional dosing of micros like magnesium, potassium and iron to keep them good health, do i need to trim/prune the lawn? I can see some of the glosso growth overlapping the older layer.
    please advise thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i have never grown glosso before, but i think you should trim it if not the bottom layer may rot due to insufficient light.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Julian

yes you should keep them managable by trimming them constant, it encourage new growth, healthier leaves and also prevent algae growth. Once they get too thick, potential risk of getting algae (BBA, BGA) at the bottom

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    learnt! thanks! just gave the lawn a retrim. looks much better now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Julian

It is also important to have good circulation within the tank, 'bad' water trapped within your lawn may proof a headache.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro, those glosso after trimmed, can leave it floating and will it grow ? thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, but at a slower rate. If planted in substrate it'll grow horizontally, and leave facing up towards light. But if suspended in water surface, the orientation may be different and when you want to plant it in substrate, will face difficulty. So never leave glosso floating for too long. spoilts the orientation.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Julian,

Can you please recommend me the brand for magnesium, potassium and iron solution for glosso?

Its seems my glosso are still not spreading well but in very slow rate. My 4ft tank is using T5 4x54w and 4x39w and 10 bubbles per min plus using ADA step1 4x aweek and its tempoerature: 25deg C.

Please advise...glosso gurus?
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how did you plant your glosso? What is the interval of the planting across your substrate?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Hi Julian,

Can you please recommend me the brand for magnesium, potassium and iron solution for glosso?

Its seems my glosso are still not spreading well but in very slow rate. My 4ft tank is using T5 4x54w and 4x39w and 10 bubbles per min plus using ADA step1 4x aweek and its tempoerature: 25deg C.

Please advise...glosso gurus?

Bro,

Any reason why you go for 10 bubbles per minute? Is it sufficient for a 4ft? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    10 bpm??? or is it 10 bps??? cause even for my 2 footer i'm going like 3 bps.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just a pinch of glosso, right into the lapis sand with JBL base. and spread them every where. The trouble maybe lack of magnesium, potassium and iron solution for healthy upbring for glosso?

oops, is 10bps..for my 4ft tank.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Generally, when planting glosso, the fastest way for it to cover the entire foreground is to plant it by individual plantlets at distances of about 2cm apart. That way, you get the entire foreground covered in like 2-3 weeks.

Add in your Brighty K since you have Step 1. After a month, when yellowing starts to appear bring in Brighty Lights to help supplement the nitrate and phosphate which might be insufficient.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thank valice,

Hmmm. ..my ADA step 1 is finishing , almost 1/4 left. Is there other brand as good as ADA and good for glosso?

Not planning to purchase ADA products any more.....so pricey! heard other forummers use other products still get very good results.

agree?
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't know about other products. ONly been using ADA for my tanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    Generally, when planting glosso, the fastest way for it to cover the entire foreground is to plant it by individual plantlets at distances of about 2cm apart. That way, you get the entire foreground covered in like 2-3 weeks.

Add in your Brighty K since you have Step 1. After a month, when yellowing starts to appear bring in Brighty Lights to help supplement the nitrate and phosphate which might be insufficient.
    Can try the recommended supplement plan.

I used liquid ferts, micros and powdered form Potassium sulphate, magnesium sulphate, Potassium nitrate ....bah bah bah. bought in a set from NA. It is LUSHgro products. They have label with suggested dosing. but normally, i just add 1-half teaspoon every 7 to 9days. If the glosso is growing, no problems whatsoever, i usually do not dose the chemicals. Just the red fertiliser, micros and abit of chelated iron solution.

Usually, high light, Co2 and it'll start to grow. My substrate has no base fertiliser. But it's growing.

Oh, i also have this small bottle of Plant Gibberellin. From AZOO. It's said to accelerate growth of leaves and roots. I add it occasionally, i wonder if it really helps. Anyone tried before? Plant Gibberellin.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try wondergro ferts. i've been using both macro and micro in my low tech tank with very good growth as well as the micro in my high tech tank, and i prefer it to seachem. going to switch to the macro as well for my high tech when my KNO3 runs out