Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Riccia algae??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The algae is brown in colour and seems to be spreading... I seem to see some hair like algae here and there.. are they BBA?? The ends of my plants seem to have some sediment on them, do not know if they are algae or sediment...

I had the riccia for 2 weeks and they are growing with bubbling and everything. I tied them onto the plastic mesh with nylon netting on top of it myself.

I am using DIY CO2 and 2x36w PL lights (on 24hours)for my 2ft tank... the CO2 seems quite a bit as the 3ball reactor is normally 1/4 full of CO2 at the end of the day.

The riccia is out of the meshes already but the growth seems to be inhibited by the algae.... I do not have any fishes in the tank so I dont think it has anything to do with the fishload. How many SAE's and Yamatos should I get to clear up the stuff? Any ideas of prevention or for clearing? have not dosed with fertiliser yet although 2 weeks liao.... plants all growing very well except for the abovementioned....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Riccia algae??

The algae is brown in colour and seems to be spreading... I seem to see some hair like algae here and there.. are they BBA?? The ends of my plants seem to have some sediment on them, do not know if they are algae or sediment...

I had the riccia for 2 weeks and they are growing with bubbling and everything. I tied them onto the plastic mesh with nylon netting on top of it myself.

I am using DIY CO2 and 2x36w PL lights (on 24hours)for my 2ft tank... the CO2 seems quite a bit as the 3ball reactor is normally 1/4 full of CO2 at the end of the day.

The riccia is out of the meshes already but the growth seems to be inhibited by the algae.... I do not have any fishes in the tank so I dont think it has anything to do with the fishload. How many SAE's and Yamatos should I get to clear up the stuff? Any ideas of prevention or for clearing? have not dosed with fertiliser yet although 2 weeks liao.... plants all growing very well except for the abovementioned....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Riccia algae??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Riccia algae??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quite unlikely for algae to grow on Riccia since Riccia grows faster.
    Can the brownish sediment be shaken off or rubbed off by hand?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it is growing on the mesh beside the Riccia... it seems to be growing all over the meshes... could it be that i left the lights on for too long??? some of it looks like a gel and some look like algae but brown...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Brown algae -> get Otos (a.k.a xiao jing ling). ABout 4 for a 2 ft.

Hair algae. Is it black/greyish black? If it is, then its BBA. If it's dark green or any other colour its not. Get Yamatos for this. 10 for a 2 ft.

SAE's, well, they get lazy once they discover fish food. But if kept underfed, they will continue to graze throughout the day. I think they are good to have as a preventive measure if they are underfed. Even if they get lazy and stop eating algae, I still like them as their antics adds life to the tank.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    24 hours of light on?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    was always wondering if they will eat up my riccia and attack the plants should there not be enuff algae? can they differentiate algae and riccia and moss??

----------------
    On 10/24/2002 10:00:49 AM

Brown algae -> get Otos (a.k.a xiao jing ling). ABout 4 for a 2 ft.

Hair algae. Is it black/greyish black? If it is, then its BBA. If it's dark green or any other colour its not. Get Yamatos for this. 10 for a 2 ft.

SAE's, well, they get lazy once they discover fish food. But if kept underfed, they will continue to graze throughout the day. I think they are good to have as a preventive measure if they are underfed. Even if they get lazy and stop eating algae, I still like them as their antics adds life to the tank.
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yup, I keep it on 24hours for the time being to hasten the growing of the riccia...

----------------
    On 10/24/2002 10:03:05 AM

24 hours of light on?
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm, some forumers have had their moss eaten by SAEs and Riccia munched on by Yamatos.

It's not whether they can differentiate... it's whats available. Green algae is preferred, then tender plants. BBA is last, and nothing eats BGA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    so how can i control the eating habits? the riccia is still short and may be eaten instead of the algae.. worried that the algae will not be taken into control but the plants will be eaten instead..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Otos are not a problem... they eat algae and that's all. At times, I've had them being in danger of starving to death, cos they don't even eat algae wafers.

Yamatos will eat green algae first because it easier to eat. If they run out of algae, feed them sinking algae wafers. There's are 2 versions by Hikari. Not sure if there are other brands.

SAEs... I'll let others comment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I found my otos and yamatoes do eat sinking fish food for corys...in fact I saw one of my big yamatoe attempt to grab the sinking tablet and move it into his own area with those legs!!! LOL []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think yamatos will pretty much anything that fish will eat... but they are constant grazers, so no worries that they'll get lazy. My yamatos eat the FBW that I feed to my newts. Fortunately, they don't eat very fast.

My otos ignore the algae wafers that I feed to my starving SAEs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/24/2002 10:05:03 AM

yup, I keep it on 24hours for the time being to hasten the growing of the riccia...

----------------
    I don't think 24hours is a good idea. I am not sure about riccia, but in general, plants need light and dark phases. 24 hrs of light may be bad for plants. (Unless they are plants from Alaska.) But I have never tried it myself.

I found some plants actually grow during the night like my Echinodorus. The new leaves appear bigger in the morning than when I saw them on the previous night after lights off.

On the other hand, plants like Hygrophila fold up their leaves after certein time of the day. A sign that they do need the light anymore.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree with BC. Plants need to rest.

Same experience with lotus. They do their growing when they sleep, like babies. hardly notice any difference in my lotus between when I come home at night, but usually they would have grown noticebly in the morning.

The algae is probably due to the excess light too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    cool man, hope to be able to curb the algae growth and let the plants rest tonight. will turn them off for them to rest. Besides Yamatos and ottos, are there other prawns which eat algae?

----------------
    On 10/24/2002 11:52:08 AM

I agree with BC. Plants need to rest.

Same experience with lotus. They do their growing when they sleep, like babies. hardly notice any difference in my lotus between when I come home at night, but usually they would have grown noticebly in the morning.

The algae is probably due to the excess light too.
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    i also noticed that my echinodorus will grow during night time.
    maybe during photo period, they are busy with photosynthesis and building up energy reserves. when light off, they will grow. can't multitask..[]

i think plants can indicate when they have enough lights.
    my lotus will bend it's leaves towards vertical at night and during the day they will bend towards horizontal.
    thomas liew