Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: A sticky thread for each type of plants?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A sticky thread for each type of plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

Just a thought, many of us come into the forum, surf the web or buy books to find out more about a particular type of aquatic plant, most of the information that we are interested in are pertaining to:
    1. lighting requirements
    2. CO2 requirements
    3. substrate requirements (whether a fetile substrate is required)
    4. temperature requirements
    5. pH requirements
    6. GH / kH requirements
    7. fertilisation requirements (through water column)
    8. distribution, scientific and common name
    9. photographs (emersed, submersed, flower)
    10. possibility of emersed growth
    11. common signs of nutrient deficiency (N, P, K, micro, etc)
    12. tips on how to physically plant the plant submersed and emersed
    13. propagation methods
    14. etc (list to be further developed)

Currently such information are scattered in many threads and we have to comb through each posting in each thread slowly to extract them. Have we considered setting up a more straight forward system (i.e. via a new sub-forum with a new thread set up for each type of plant, maybe say once every fortnightly, no new threads are allowed to be set up in this sub-forum except by the moderator). I think this had been done in another forum before on a monthly basis, but I thought that there was no focus in the contents then.

Anyway, the moderator will decide on a plant every week to feature and list down some textbook stuff with reference to the above list of information in the first post of the thread (with pictures attached). All interested parties can contribute their experiences / photographs / stories / etc for those things that cannot be found easily in the books or on the web via postings in the thread. At the end of the fortnight, the moderator can decide to amend the info in the 1st thread based on the information obtained through the postings (or if there are debates and controversies involved, the moderator can decide to leave those portions as “non-conclusive” but all genuine postings must be left for people to read and decide for themselves).

If there are sufficient interest created and many members contribute, within a year we would have created a database for substantial number of types of plants which can remain useful for many years to come. Members can also find the information they need about these plants easier?

Or maybe this would eventually lead to people logging on just to retrieve information without bothering to post any question anymore since majority of the answers would have been covered and easily found in these threads then?

Regards,
    T S Wang

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wang,

A very interesting suggestion that I would like to explore further. Perhaps I'll take that up with you at the end of the month when I'm out from reservist commitments if you don't mind.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro, this is a great idea.

Think this can be done on the different type of fishes and shrimps too... Cheers!

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Manpower will be an issued. It will have to be a group effort, both moderating team and members.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha... Sounds fun.

This can become an project assignment for different teams with different focus, and also a good reason for people with similar interest to get together more often.

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I support the idea! Many times, I have to search the web a few days to find out information about a particular plant which I'm interested in to see if it can fit my aquascape.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe I can offer my photography to capture the photos? Let me know
    Formally known as EpiCentre in AQ