Country
    Singapore

How to get rid of Hydra?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    Spotted some Hydras in my tank, use a pincer to get it or if on tank glass, use finger and kill it. How to get rid of them? How did they came into my tank? Is it due to overfeeding?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Control - (Use at your own risk) Attach a wire to each pole of a 9 volt battery. Place the ends of the wires into the tank water, as far apart as possible. If the setup is working correctly, a fine stream of bubbles should be seen from one of the wires. The Hydra will start falling after about 20 minutes. The treatment should go no longer than 3 hours, keeping an eye on conditions the whole time. A daily 50% water change for 3 days is recommended since Copper leaches into the tank via one of the wires
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by marle View Post
    Control - (Use at your own risk) Attach a wire to each pole of a 9 volt battery. Place the ends of the wires into the tank water, as far apart as possible. If the setup is working correctly, a fine stream of bubbles should be seen from one of the wires. The Hydra will start falling after about 20 minutes. The treatment should go no longer than 3 hours, keeping an eye on conditions the whole time. A daily 50% water change for 3 days is recommended since Copper leaches into the tank via one of the wires
    Thanks Marle, but I can't risk my CRS with copper thou. By any chance do you happen to know the cause of it?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This one i am not too sure.

You could probably have brought the hydra back from the items you bought, i do know that hydra breeds well in colder temperatures.

You can start by first reducing them manually as they are visible to the human eye most of the time.

Any bros here can help bro larlee?
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My Samurai Gourami - Sphaerichthys vaillanti took care of them.
    God will make a way, where there seems to be no way

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Samurai Gourami might also take care of the CRS

It is probably come together with the plant that you bought.

Using battery is interesting idea.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I understand it might be the plants but what I want to know is how would they survive and multiply? under eaten food etc etc?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    info on Hydra, info was taken from "ShrimpNow" posted by Silane. Sorry I don't keep the web-site link.

Hydras are tiny animals, which are closely related to jellyfish. Green Hydras live in fresh water, such as streams, rivers, lakes, and ponds. They are very common.

A Green Hydra can grow up to 30 millimeters long, but usually they are less than 15 mm. Hydras are found in shallow water, where they attach themselves to plants, stones, twigs, or other objects. Unlike their jellyfish cousins, they don't like to float around.

The body of a Green Hydra is long and skinny. Just like jellyfish they have stinging tentacles. One hydra can have anywhere from four to twelve tentacles. Each tentacle has tiny bumps, called nematocysts. The nematocysts release a material that paralyzes another animal. Hydras use their nematocysts to capture prey, and for protection.

Prey of Green Hydras includes aquatic insects, crustaceans (such as water fleas and scuds), flatworms, aquatic worms, fish fry, and other small creatures in the water. They also eat a certain type of algae, called Chlorella, which is what makes hydras green. Chlorella stays alive inside the hydra. Since algae makes its own food. The hydra lets the Chlorella make food for it.

If a hydra needs to move (perhaps it's not getting enough food), it can detach itself and move like an inchworm. They are notoriously well known to kill shrimplets and fish fries in breeding tanks.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    info on Hydra, info was taken from "ShrimpNow" posted by Silane. Sorry I don't keep the web-site link.

Hydras are tiny animals, which are closely related to jellyfish. Green Hydras live in fresh water, such as streams, rivers, lakes, and ponds. They are very common.

A Green Hydra can grow up to 30 millimeters long, but usually they are less than 15 mm. Hydras are found in shallow water, where they attach themselves to plants, stones, twigs, or other objects. Unlike their jellyfish cousins, they don't like to float around.

The body of a Green Hydra is long and skinny. Just like jellyfish they have stinging tentacles. One hydra can have anywhere from four to twelve tentacles. Each tentacle has tiny bumps, called nematocysts. The nematocysts release a material that paralyzes another animal. Hydras use their nematocysts to capture prey, and for protection.

Prey of Green Hydras includes aquatic insects, crustaceans (such as water fleas and scuds), flatworms, aquatic worms, fish fry, and other small creatures in the water. They also eat a certain type of algae, called Chlorella, which is what makes hydras green. Chlorella stays alive inside the hydra. Since algae makes its own food. The hydra lets the Chlorella make food for it.

If a hydra needs to move (perhaps it's not getting enough food), it can detach itself and move like an inchworm. They are notoriously well known to kill shrimplets and fish fries in breeding tanks.
    Thanks for the info.
    Now I need to train myself as a pestmaster to fish hydras everyday.
    Do you happen to know whether they multiply like snails?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have Hydra before but funny thing it was gone after a while. I didn't do anything, not sure if it was eaten by my fauna. The fauna that I got in that tank is Cerry shrimps, Yamato shrimps, Otos and boraras brigatte.
    -Robert