Singapore

Canister for 1.5ft shrimp tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all
    Need some advice..
    Currently i had a Nano tank, around 20x16x18cm tall. Having cherries and bee shrimp, with Glosso, Hairgrass and Flame moss. Filter is a Jebo HOB filter and 11 watts of lighting. Tank is doing well and glosso is creeping.

Im going to set up a 1.5ft tank, with moss carpet for more cherries

I had been looking around for filters. Going to try Canister for it, but eden 501 look inds of expensive (Poor Boy ). Is there any other brand of Canister that can be recommend?

Please advise
    Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I use Hydor Prime 10 for my 1.5foot CRS tank. Very quiet and so far so good for 9months.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There are some China-made filters similar to Eden 501 and the price can be 1/2 that of an Eden... look around for it and I think those should suit your purpose. Check out the wattage and flowrate... should be able to find one similar to Eden... if not close to Eden.
    ~| MakE ThE BesT oF EverythinG ThaT LifE BringS TheiR WaY! |~

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If Eden 501 is too expensive for you, your options are either going for a 2nd hand canister or going with either the Resun CY-20 or the Boyu EF-05. Both the Resun and the Boyu are about half the price of an Eden 501, but do take note that their flowrate is 200 litres/hour instead of the 300 litres/hour of the Eden 501.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Crayonboi,

What illumnae said is right, the Resun is cheaper and lower flowrate. The wattage is of lower wattage too (i think 3watts only). Eden 501 is 5watts if I'm not wrong.

I saw the price tagged @ $28 in C328 store.

All the filters will work, it's just a matter of efficiency, reliability and how easy to maintain in my opinion.

Hope this help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Please test out the boyu canister filter and let it run for 5 mins. I bought one that gets air lock within 5 mins, change to another unit still same issue. bought a different brand instead. I think you might as well stick to eden for a peace of mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya.. i had heard Boyu canister got some problems. Maybe i will try other brand. I saw this brand call Fluval, heard it is better then boyu. Anyone knows?

anyway, thanks for the advice..!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, Fluval is available in several LFS, it has canister filter that made in italy.

Here's a reference link to Fluval product on oversea website. You can find a range of Fluval filter ranging from 104 -FX series. (cheap to highest end)

http://www.nextag.com/fluval-filter/search-html

Not all model are carried by each LFS. Some store owner can help you to order. I heard the drawback is parts replacement could be some issue if you have broken parts along the way, as compared to eheim where you can get almost every single part. But eheim is made in germany and it's not cheap.

Hope this help.

Cheers

stillife

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks...!
    Will go and compare around..
    Just set up my 1.5 feet tank.. now using a spare Hang on filter to cycle the tank. Will go get the canister this sunday.. hopefully.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 20th Jan 2008 at 22:20. Reason: remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by crayonboi View Post
    ya.. i had heard Boyu canister got some problems. Maybe i will try other brand. I saw this brand call Fluval, heard it is better then boyu. Anyone knows?

anyway, thanks for the advice..!
    Fluval has been in the market for a very long time. About 10 yrs ago, when I first started, I see Fluval as a cheaper solution compared to Eheim (last time Eheim is very expensive)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by larlee View Post
    Fluval has been in the market for a very long time. About 10 yrs ago, when I first started, I see Fluval as a cheaper solution compared to Eheim (last time Eheim is very expensive)
    But now i see online Fluval like very expensive too..
    Not really sure.. anyone knows..?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Personally tried Resun Cyclone and Eden 501.

Cyclone is a much cheaper alternative. One thing i prefer about the cyclone is you can put more filter material in it.

Eden wins in the overall feel of the filter. Eden has the better furnishing.

Both just as quiet.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would suggest you getting Eden type style canister filter as it is not too bulky to place next to your tank. Fluval, Ehiem style might look a little too big next to your tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advises!

So sad.. in the end i did not buy any canister (almost got a Eden 501 for $50).. but in the end a GEX Hang on Filter for 16 dollars.. got a flow rate of 220 to 250L/Hr.. i will use that for now.. to cycle my tank first too.. hope to upgrade to a canister in the near future..

Thanks for all the help bros / sis!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry to ask is there any cannister suppoty 1ft tank water flow not that strong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi marcusy!

I would suggest or recommend Eden501 for your 1ft tank. It's super quiet and easy to setup. I bought it yesterday and get it up running within 30mins.

Very well equiped filter.

The finishes on the product itself is good too.

Can consider getting it.

It's about $50.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok thaks where u got it i went to Y618 yesterday but dont seem to find it think if not i will get a bigger hang on filter cause i find that my water dont seem like very clear up .. is it adviciable to put cermic ring and biohome plus in the hang on filter?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i put ceramic rings in my hang on too ..i just squeeze as many in as i can

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    C328 got 2 cheaper the Eden saw a cheapest one at 28 think is redsun.. but i went to buy a bigger hang on filter 250l/h flow rate for my 15" tank dont knoe is it enough to filter the water a not ?