Singapore

Thumbs down Water soaked Juwel Rio 125

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear fellow forumers,

Perhaps you could help me out.

Recently, my external filter was leaking very slowly. I didnt notice it for 24hr until I open the cabinet. By then, the water has seeped slowly into the wood.

My cabinet tank was Juwel Rio 125. I thought it was made with good quality solid wood but alas, I was wrong. It was made with cheap chipwood. The water was soaked up by the wood and it expanded. The veneers also start to come off. Currently, I'm very worried about the structural integrity of the cabinet.

After enquiring with SamYick, they quoted me a very high price ( which i shall not disclose here) for the same model cabinet. With that price, I could get a good quality Chengkai wood cabinet! I resolved myself not to pay that price for such a filmsy cabinet hence I will definitely not buy from SamYick.

What should I do now? Does anyone know of any Juwel distributors other then SamYick? Or do you know of anyone selling a Juwel Rio 125 ( Beech ) colored cabinet? Or how else can I get the cabinet replaced?

Thanks for any infor given.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

To be fair, Juwel products are not cheap to begin with, and as an agent, they are duty bound to stick to the recomended retail price. I'd suggest as you mentioned to get a chengai wood cabinet. There are a few Juwel dealers around, one which is Soon Heng at Bukit Merah View.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sam Yick is the retail arm. Their other company Camfurt Enterprise is the sole agent for Juwel products.

Juwel cabinets are indeed made of chipboard. Cannot sustain contact with moisture for extended period. Whilst there is no immediate danger, it will be a question of time.

Perhaps a wooden cabinet might be a good idea.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not only Juwel but if I remember correctly, the Eheim tank is also made with the same material. There was someoine who had the same tragedy of water getting into the chipboard of an Eheim tank here in this forum.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine's also affected by water sipping into the cabinet and causes it to bloat.

If I were to change the cabinet, I will be using the dollar instead to custom make a teak wood cabinet for it, as a replacement.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Have you try talking to bioplast. They do sell cabinet from germany.
    Cheers
    CFP