Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

180g Discus tank need your help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am setting up a 180 gal discus tank and would really like to understand how to add co2. i have most of the equipment. How is do you inject the co2 into the water? How do you regulate so not the mess with ph? What are the best plants for low light? is co2 really necessary with low light applications? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to AQ Khill

There are a few ways to inject co2,
    1) Co2 diffuser - a glassware with a ceramic plate that creates fine co2 bubbles, not to be used with DIY co2 because of the lack of pressure
    2) Co2 reactor - device connected to the external filter/cannister, co2 is injected into the device, the whirling action help dissolve co2 into the water and goes into the water
    3) bell method - commonly used with DIY Co2, the bell is an inverted cup where it housed the reservior of co2, however this method is said to waste more co2 than the other methods.

coming to your other questions, looking at the size of the tank, I'm assuming a 6x2x2 tank? co2 does change your pH level, however this level changes with the amount of co2 injected into your tank. Your discus should enjoy the lower pH level if they are wild discus.

For low light plants, I will recomment the use of Echinodorus species, they are great with discus and provide shelter and hide for them

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Thank you simon

what is the best medium to use as gravel?will the fertilizer effect the water quality?