Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: lighting for a 5 feet planted tank...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

lighting for a 5 feet planted tank...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    was reading a post the other day when someone mentioned somrthing about customised PL lighting for a 5 feet tank... and got it done at Nature aquarium... could someone tell me more about it? as i am getting a 5 feet tank in a week or so and would like to use this lighting set-up...

ThAnks a million guys,,,[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi ryan

if it is going to be a planted tank for a 5footer, seriously consider either MV or MH.......coz you will need the wattage that they are able to push out.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya, i agree wif david, even though I using FL for my 6ft.. its cheaper these days to get MH/MV.. do consider

Feedback Score
    Yah...that's me.
    Normal 5 feet light hood will come with 4 PL light or 4 feet FL whereby the edge will be no light.

There are a few brands out there whereby you can fit in 6 PL lights or you can ask Nature to modified for you.

Talk to Chan regarding the lights.

rgds

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/12/2002 5:26:17 PM

Yah...that's me.
    Normal 5 feet light hood will come with 4 PL light or 4 feet FL whereby the edge will be no light.

There are a few brands out there whereby you can fit in 6 PL lights or you can ask Nature to modified for you.

Talk to Chan regarding the lights.

rgds
    ----------------
    oh so u fitted 6 PL lights in your 5 foot tank hood? how much did it cost u? mr chan custom made it for u? how much did your tank+cabinet+hood and lights cost you??? thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    It's the Ocean free 5 feet light hood which comes with 4 PL light only.
    Actually I asked Chan to upgrade the light hood for me by adding another 2 PL lights. But the e-ballast can no longer be kept inside the light hood, it need to be wired out and kept somewhere behind your aquarium.

Overall the charges of upgrading + the original 5 feet Ocean Free light hood is still more than when you buy a 5 feet light hood fitted with 6 PL lights.
    I think brand like Macros have such model.

My advice is always buy the one with light stand unless you want to make a stand yourself. The length of the light hood and the stand must fit nicely onto the edge of your tank. And fix in e-ballast. 6 PL light is going to be very HOT !!
    And for 5 feet tank, u need two 5 feet light hood fitted with 12 PL light !!

I got a total 14 PL lights (with e-ballast) + 1 AC fan.

Anyway, talk to Chan.

rgds
    (if I have a choice, I will use the MH instead cos' I'm into high light plants like riccia, hairgrass and red stem plant)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi koon

what would be the total cost of the 5ft PL tube set including the modification?...the lastest oceanfree MH light set is about 400+ including stand and a cooling fan.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh gosh... i'm into that kind of plants too... so many lights huh? my dad doesn't want MH lah... he wants hood... so i guess i have to use PL... how much did u pay for ur tank with cabinet and light hoods?

Feedback Score
    David,

For a 5 feet come with 4 PLs + 2 e-ballast, around $200 (can't remember)
    Add another 2 PLs + wiring + one e-ballast + modification charge, around $70.

So for two 5 feet light hood with 12 PLs + 6 e-ballast, overall cost is around $540.

That's why I say, if I have a choice, I will go for MH.
    Previously, it is because I do not want to drill a hole in the ceiling or wall.
    But now actually, the MH comes with a beautiful tall stand. I've seen one at Capricorn (how much does that cost and what brand..do u know ?)

rgds
    Koon

Feedback Score
    Ryan,

My tank + white cabinet is the Jebo brand type with rounded corner tampered glass bought at H2O. 5 feet x 2 feet x 2.5 feet tall.
    It comes with a overflow trickle filter + protein skimmer. Actually it is a marine tank.

Cost around $2.5 K.

rgds