Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Plants from POLYART AQUARIUM got drugs?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    167
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Plants from POLYART AQUARIUM got drugs?

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Hi all,

    Today i bought two plants ( cost 80c each) from PolyArt Aquarium to put in my nano shrimp tank.. After i washed them with tap water, I put in the tank. All my shrimps ( CRS & Cherry ) suddenly swimming crazily around the tank.. and they all die later =(. All the shrimps worths $60 =(.

    So i'm afraid inside the plants got anti-bug drug or something... I would like to post here not the blame the shop or anything, it's my stupidity anyway... but to all the shrimp lovers that you need to wash the plant carefully before introduce to your tank....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Beauty World
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    789
    Country
    Singapore
    Most probably the plants were treated with insecticide at the farm when it was grown in the emersed form. Therefore, it's very important to clean the plants properly before introducing them to your tank. Besides insecticide, you can also get hitchhikers such as snails, or damselfly eggs.

    Oh... and it's not just polyart. The same plants were distributed to a lot of shops. There was a time last year or the year before when all the forumers here seems to be having problem with their shrimps whenever they bought Cryptocoryne spp. I suspect it's the same issue.

    Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    167
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm changing water of my tank now. Realized one of my cherry shrimp just finish molting... and now she died =( There are two cherry shrimps survive because they are holding to the Zeolite bag. Guess the water near the bag has less toxin. Btw, i'm treating the water with Zeolite to remove any trace of toxin, is it effective?

    All the plants so far I bought from C328 ( uncle & auntie ) which are very good. This is the first time I tried buying from an non-C328 shop =.=

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    49
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore
    ah.. i also had the same experience..... crs all wacked... and i decided to sell my chiller and just keep a planted tank.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    72
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    sad to hear this , Hope this thing does not deter you from carry on your hobby and thank for creating awareness of introduce new plant.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Kallang
    Posts
    293
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    6
    Country
    Singapore
    Well I dont think the problem is cause by any particular LFS.I was hit 2 times by the same suitation when purchase at 2 different LFS last year.One of it is C328 and the other is not polyart.
    Since then I had learn not to put in new plants into my shrimp tank but put it in a temperory tank and use a few shrimp to test it out for at least 24 hrs,better to have a few die then a whole tank.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    33
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore
    I have bought quite a number of plants from POLYART so far, even as recent as yesterday. So far have no problem like you have mentioned. But normally for me, I would removes the plants from the pot, also try to remove the sponge inside too and then rinse and soak it in aged water (a big pail of water) for half an hour before planting into my tank. I throw away the sponge and the pot that comes with the plant.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Posts
    625
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    2
    Country
    Singapore
    Shrimps are more sensitive than fishes. Here's 2 of my previous experiences:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=16035
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=17062

    Hope your tank recovers fast.
    Warm regards,

    Lawrence Lee

    brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •