Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by ragn4rok View Post
    I keep spinata at:

ph 7.0
    gH 12
    kH 6
    temp 24C --> they say sula shrimps need high temp (around 28C).. but I've tried with this low temp, and they're fine..
    Cooler temperature. That's good news. Any signs of breeding though? Do these shrimps cross breed?
    God will make a way, where there seems to be no way

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    do they breed to true forms like cherries or are they like yamato shrimps' young which undergoes several larvae changes before forming the shape of a shrimp?
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by marle View Post
    do they breed to true forms like cherries or are they like yamato shrimps' young which undergoes several larvae changes before forming the shape of a shrimp?
    Got a reply from other forum that they are high breeding form meaning to say that they breed like how cherries will breed. Releasing shrimplets.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hehe, 50 pieces were in but.... my friends and I bought all. No more for colorful uncle to buy.

Last edited by benny; 1st Mar 2008 at 01:01.
    silane

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Besides Caridina cf. spinata and Caridina cf. spongicola , any other species you've got?
    Last edited by leeruisheng; 14th Feb 2008 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just conditioned them and release them into my tank.
    They are still very "stone" ....hehe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Wilson, if I am not wrong, the red stripe shrimps could be species closely related to C. spongicola, and not C. spongicola itself. C. spongicola has similar patterns, but the colour of the stripes are dark brown [1].

In these lakes, even though the shrimps look similar (but have different colours), there may be morphologically differences between the two morphs to suggest they are separate species altogether (as with the case of C. ensifera "blue" and "red" [2])

So for now, I think they are being labelled as C. cf. spongicola until the results of the scientific studies are completed for them (soon).

[1] Zitzler, K. & Cai, Y. (2006). Caridina spongicola, new species, a freshwater shrimp (Crustacea: Decapoda: Atyidae) from the ancient Malili lake system of Sulawesi, Indonesia. The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 54: 271-276.

[2] von Rintelen, K., von Rintelen, T. & Glaubrecht, M. (2007). Molecular phylogeny and diversification of freshwater shrimps (Decapoda, Atyidae, Caridina) from ancient Lake Poso (Sulawesi, Indonesia) - the importance of being colourful. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 45: 1033-1041.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Super rich, 50 pieces mean over 2k. I will not buy even if its one piece at $4x. Do not make sense for me as these are not equipments that i can make use for a long time.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    do not worry, these shrimps' value will drop in time when people are able to breed them and more supply is in the market. The sellers are now riding on the shrimp fever. People now pay a higher premium as these shrimps are relatively new.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 14th Feb 2008 at 21:31. Reason: Remove immediate quote
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To ordinary guys like myself, just be patient. Think let the pros be the pioneers in conditioning and breeding these shrimps - soon we will get the chance to keep these beauties well, armed with better knowledge and experienced shared with the pros.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    Wilson, if I am not wrong, the red stripe shrimps could be species closely related to C. spongicola, and not C. spongicola itself. C. spongicola has similar patterns, but the colour of the stripes are dark brown [1].

In these lakes, even though the shrimps look similar (but have different colours), there may be morphologically differences between the two morphs to suggest they are separate species altogether (as with the case of C. ensifera "blue" and "red" [2])

So for now, I think they are being labelled as C. cf. spongicola until the results of the scientific studies are completed for them (soon).

[1] Zitzler, K. & Cai, Y. (2006). Caridina spongicola, new species, a freshwater shrimp (Crustacea: Decapoda: Atyidae) from the ancient Malili lake system of Sulawesi, Indonesia. The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 54: 271-276.

[2] von Rintelen, K., von Rintelen, T. & Glaubrecht, M. (2007). Molecular phylogeny and diversification of freshwater shrimps (Decapoda, Atyidae, Caridina) from ancient Lake Poso (Sulawesi, Indonesia) - the importance of being colourful. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 45: 1033-1041.
    Ok understood. Made ammendments already.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fishoman View Post
    I just conditioned them and release them into my tank.
    They are still very "stone" ....hehe
    Hi bro, Oh, any death? Off the light, they will be more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by o2bubble View Post
    Super rich, 50 pieces mean over 2k. I will not buy even if its one piece at $4x. Do not make sense for me as these are not equipments that i can make use for a long time.
    My friends and I are crazy about it.We wont wait for price drop, what if they are ban for export tomorrow?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 14th Feb 2008 at 21:31. Reason: Merge posts
    silane

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro silane, I beg you to quick make lots of sula babies so you can spare us poor people some at a affordable price
    Last edited by Quixotic; 15th Feb 2008 at 01:35. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've got myself some Caridina cf. spongicola. Really small.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    with the current price of the shrimps... may be just spend $1000+ for a expedition trip to indonesia instead and brough back your self hundreds of them

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by catohcat View Post
    with the current price of the shrimps... may be just spend $1000+ for a expedition trip to indonesia instead and brough back your self hundreds of them
    Very true. Are you going to organize them? i will want to go on such a trip one day.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Me too. I want to go too.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by leeruisheng View Post
    I've got myself some Caridina cf. spongicola. Really small.

Hi Lee, hows the survival rate ? Are they actively moving in the tank or hiding at one side?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought 2 pieces to test and they've made it to the 3rd day. Thus got more. Hard to determine survival rate because given their size, they'll could hide even under fissiden fronds and crevices. But so far I do see some of them appearing everyday. Some are active coming out more often into the open while others are cautiously hiding.

How's yours doing?

I was wondering if we could mixed different species? But would they cross breed?
    Last edited by leeruisheng; 15th Feb 2008 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    They wont cross breed.
    Mine got some casualties
    Last edited by Quixotic; 15th Feb 2008 at 21:01. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast