Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Ehiem 2213 making a lot of noise...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ehiem 2213 making a lot of noise...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi... Anyone using an Ehiem 2213? Mine's making a hell lot of noise and it is irritating as it is sitting in my room... I don't think it is an impellar problem and I have problems opening up the filter...

Any advise on how to stop the noise?

Would the position of the filter be a factor? It is currently sitting on the same level as the tank... Would it be better if it is sitting below the tank?

Thanks!...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the last time i had any such problem, it was the impeller, maybe you want to take out and inspect the impeller ?
    Last edited by benny; 4th Feb 2008 at 08:59.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe it is recommended for canister filters to be placed below the level of the tank. Not sure if it will help your problem though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Probably trapped air. Did you maintain the tank recently? Have you tried to release the air out?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree i think it's trapped air and it doesn't just go away, got to prime it out. Either that or you slightly tilt the canister filter on one side to release the air.

Trapped air sounds like gurgling.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sheesh... Limited movement available... Will try to remove the air...

But probably will try to open up the filter first... It is very tight... Scared I will crack something if I try too hard to open the filter up...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tight? Did you open up the taps first?

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Close the taps, you mean?? Open the taps means water will be all over the floor lo...

If you mean to say shut the water flow, yes... But it is still very tight... And the noise is just too irritating now... Think I will need to get a spare impellar too, just in case... But first I need to get into the filter before the New Year! Arrgh...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it sounds like there are metal ball bearings in the filter, then it's definitely trapped air.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee View Post
    Tight? Did you open up the taps first?

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz View Post
    Close the taps, you mean?? Open the taps means water will be all over the floor lo...
    He could be referring to removing the tubings from the filter before opening it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Roger that... Will check it and hopefully settle it tonight for a good night's sleep!

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Check the impeller, the magnet could have separated from the prop. Had that problem causing a lot of noise.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Last time when I have this problem, it is the impeller. Impeller and trap air produce different type of noise. Air noise is more the hissing type while impeller is something knocking..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz View Post
    Hi... Anyone using an Ehiem 2213? Mine's making a hell lot of noise and it is irritating as it is sitting in my room... I don't think it is an impellar problem and I have problems opening up the filter...

Any advise on how to stop the noise?

Would the position of the filter be a factor? It is currently sitting on the same level as the tank... Would it be better if it is sitting below the tank?

Thanks!...
    Think either the impeller problem, also the canister is best sited below the tank. Or could be some air trapped inside. Remove and check again,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Or the impeller rubber seats ( on both ends ), worn seats will cause the impeller to be off-center during rotation thus may create some " knocking sounds ".
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops... Sorry, forgot to update...

After advise from Valice, I took the whole filter apart and hooked it up again... And after mixing up the inlet with the outlet and almost flooding my room, it is all peace and quiet now... *phew*

Thanks guys, for all your help!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Err, should be "advice". "Advise" is a verb.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops... Thanks!