Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Final fish for new tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, this is my first post on this site so hopefully it is in the right place!

I need some advice on completing my new aquarium.I've recently upgraded from a 30cm (20L) tank to a more respectable 60cm (54L) tank.
    The old community featured the following:

5 Black Phantom Tetras
    6 Endler Livebearers
    25 assorted shrimp (Amano, cherry, tiger, red crystal)

The new tank is heavily planted with plenty of hiding places for all. The new community is made up of:

11 Black Phantom Tetras
    13 Endler Livebearers
    15 Neon Tetras
    50 assorted shrimp

The tank has an oversized internal filter and after running the dimensions and stocking level through various website calculators I have some space left over (around 10cm of fish).

Right, sorry for taking so long to get to the point! My question is what sort of fish would be good to complete the tank? OR should I leave the tank at this stocking level. I plan to leave the setup for a couple of months either way but would like some adivce for future purposes.

I was thinking along the lines of some form of bottom feeder or scavenger to layer the tank.

Any comments on my current setup and advice on how to proceed would be really appreciated!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you're looking for some scavengers or bottom feeders, i'd suggest a small school of Corydoras habrosus
    These guys are small, active, and are usually too small to root in the substrate too deeply and cause problems for foreground plants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would vouch for a pair of Corydoras. A pair of the albino ones with a pair of speckled ones would look very nice at the bottom. Don't think they uproot plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    adult cories can uproot newly planted small plants such as dwarf hairgrass.

C. habrosus are cool- so are C. pygmaeus. Mine ususally rest on the bottom leaves of the lotus before they hover around the plants looking for food. They don't really stay completely on the floor bottom, but rather hover around zooming in and around the other fish traffic!

What ever cory you decide to get (if you decide on cories) do make sure that they get enough food- the shrimp will get boisterous to them trying to steal their food. You might not have this problem, but it should be considered.
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    By the way- thanks for joining us in posting! normally I rarely have the time to stop in every once in a while let one post! Welcome!
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If your plants are well established in the tank and not newly planted, then they should be okay. However,

1. some fine leaved plants e.g. riccia or Hemianthus callitrichoides, may still be uprooted by them (except the dwarf Corydoras spp.), and

2. long nosed Corydoras spp. may still uproot some plants as they dig in the soil a fair bit (the reason for the long noses).

Mileage may vary for the above. The dwarf Corydoras spp. are fairly "plant-safe".