Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Amount of Lushgro to dose

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My just rescaped my tank and replant about slightly more than a week ago, plants showed growth and are pearling but today discovered a thread algae boom. Read up on thread aglae and its cause is due to surplus of Fe (iron). Seems like even I follow the right dosage on the label i still get over dose of Fe. Will like to seek advice from anyone out there who share similar setup with me and dose with Lushgro ferts. How much to dose and at what frequency.

My set up:

2 ft tank
    Substrate mixture of ADA amazonia + Gex (light green package) + red bee
    Hair grass and HC are planted throughout the substrate
    some water lettuce and stem plant (floating. To adsorb extra nutrients)
    CO2 injectiong at 1bps (30ppm)
    Canister filter flowrate at 300l/hr
    72watts T5 light
    Dose with Lushgro Aqua, Lushgro micro and KH2PO4 (Dosed once a week and amount according to label)
    Tank temp at 22 degress celcius

I read up many threads and many said it is alright to dose as according to the labels on the ferts, however does it mean the same amount should be dose whether or not your tank is lightly, medium or heavily planted? anyone can advice the "agar agar" amount to dose for different volume of planted.
    Last edited by alechim; 25th Feb 2008 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a dosing calculator for Lushgro Aqua and Micros. Can try at http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/kfloh/dmdd.xls

Further, do read up on Estimative Index by Tom Barr
    And Chuck Gadd Dosing Calculator also helps.

For your thread algae problem, some Yamato shrimps will help.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by alechim View Post
    Dose with Lushgro Aqua, Lushgro micro and KH2PO4 (Dosed once a week and amount according to label)
    May I check what is the dosing recommendation stated on the label for KH2PO4?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If i remember correctly it is stated on the label 5ml every week.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler View Post
    I have a dosing calculator for Lushgro Aqua and Micros. Can try at http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/kfloh/dmdd.xls

Further, do read up on Estimative Index by Tom Barr
    And Chuck Gadd Dosing Calculator also helps.

For your thread algae problem, some Yamato shrimps will help.
    For aqua and micro, do we dose either aqua or micro?
    or do we dose aqua and micro?
    Because it seems both has similar chemicals.

I used to dose both Aqua and micro + KH2PO4, if it is as what Tom Barr has mentioned that excessive dosing of Fe do not cause my thread algae to boom. Then what did?
    He also did mentioned about if there is an aglae boom, most probably it is due to inadequte CO2 and little dosing of traces. However, I am injecting 1bps CO2 and my drop checker showed the right amount of CO2 disolved in my tank. By dosing Aqua + micro + KH2PO4, am I dosing any traces at all?
    Last edited by alechim; 26th Feb 2008 at 17:25.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by alechim View Post
    If i remember correctly it is stated on the label 5ml every week.
    Do I presume the KH2PO4 is the solid form? 5g of KH2PO4 for a 60litres tank will give over 50 ppm of phosphate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jacian View Post
    Do I presume the KH2PO4 is the solid form? 5g of KH2PO4 for a 60litres tank will give over 50 ppm of phosphate.
    Yeah the KH2PO4 is in power form. I actually diluted 10 teaspoons into 600ml of KH4 distilled water, which make its around 1ppm when I dose 60ml at 1 time. The question comes, do I dose this 60ml once a week?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey dude,

I think you're overdosing it big time! By your dilution method, 1ml of the solution will already give you 1.02ppm for 55l of water. That's enough. 60ml will give you 60ppm. I'm surprised your tank's still surviving!

What I do is, 1tsp in 500ml of water. 10ml 3X a week. IMHO, 10ml is easier to dose than just 1 ml. You can either dose your solution 1ml 3 times a week, or dilute it 1:10, and dose it 10ml 3 times a week.

By the way, where did you get your KH4 distilled water from?
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PlAnTaNoOb View Post
    Hey dude,

I think you're overdosing it big time! By your dilution method, 1ml of the solution will already give you 1.02ppm for 55l of water. That's enough. 60ml will give you 60ppm. I'm surprised your tank's still surviving!

What I do is, 1tsp in 500ml of water. 10ml 3X a week. IMHO, 10ml is easier to dose than just 1 ml. You can either dose your solution 1ml 3 times a week, or dilute it 1:10, and dose it 10ml 3 times a week.

By the way, where did you get your KH4 distilled water from?
    Oh I overdosed ah? My tank has only floras, so no casualties.
    Thats the problem when the calculator just mention about % of mixture but never indicate the dosing frequency.
    I made the KH4 distilled water myself, as per what some bro in this forum mentioned. put a little bicaronate and measure with the KH test kit til you get KH4

Now the big question. I will do a 50 - 75% water change tomorrow. Do I continue to fert despite my thread algae boom? or do I get rid of the algae first then dose fert again?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I see. According to chuck's calculator, your phosphate level is probably gonna devastate your tank, so maybe do a 75% water change?

And from what I undertand, according to Barr, stopping fertilisation to stop algae is a bad move. I would suggest you do the big WC, then cut down on the lights. Continue dosing ferts as per normal, and make sure any of the nutrients doesn't bottom out. Maybe don't dose PO4 for this week. Increase CO2 injection, and since you have no fauna, you don't have to worry suffocating the fishes.

Veterans, please validate my suggestions.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I see. According to chuck's calculator, your phosphate level is probably gonna devastate your tank, so maybe do a 75% water change?

And from what I undertand, according to Barr, stopping fertilisation to stop algae is a bad move. I would suggest you do the big WC, then cut down on the lights. Continue dosing ferts as per normal, and make sure any of the nutrients doesn't bottom out. Maybe don't dose PO4 for this week. Increase CO2 injection, and since you have no fauna, you don't have to worry suffocating the fishes.

Do we assume to maintain that 1ppm of PO4 once every few days? Because I tried to find everywhere but does not seems to say how much dosage on what frequency to we dose to maintain that 1ppm. We wouldnt know when PO4 really deplete right?

Looks like thats the only way is to do a big WC. I was even thinking of doing a blackout.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey,
    You might want to look at this site http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...chy-folks.html

"Basically you add a slight excess of nutrients to prevent anything from running out, then do a large water change at the end of the week to prevent anything from building up. This allows you to maintain a range of nutrients without ever using a test kit." -Barr
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey,
    You might want to look at this site http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...chy-folks.html

"Basically you add a slight excess of nutrients to prevent anything from running out, then do a large water change at the end of the week to prevent anything from building up. This allows you to maintain a range of nutrients without ever using a test kit." -Barr
    That is really helpful! Thanks alot!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You are getting really good at it now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Okie, already did a 75% WC and redose my macro and PO4, up my CO2 to around 2 bps, set my photo period to 6 hrs at intervals of 2 hrs.Gonna introduce yamato today if possible.

Pray hard the thread algae will go away

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It won't go away on it's own. You need to trim it off and if necessary replace them. Lowering the intensity of the light would help as does introducing critters like yamatoe shrimps since the rate of growth is slowed as does uptake of CO2 and nutrients.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Will do. But it is hard to remove as the algae are everywhere and especially places hard to reach and not uproot my plants. Sigh.
    Hopefully can overcome it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can try injecting Hydrogen Peroxide at the hair algae. It will help in killing the hair algae.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jacian View Post
    You can try injecting Hydrogen Peroxide at the hair algae. It will help in killing the hair algae.
    Where can I get the Hydrogen Peroxide? Will it harm CRS?

Regards,
    Ct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast