Country
    Singapore

Help to ID cryptocorynes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear All,

I recently purchased some cryptocorynes from Chatuchak, could you guys help in the ID? Thanks.

Crypt 1: lucens? willisii?

Crypt 2:this crypt has rhizome......

Crypt 3: wendtii?

Crypt 4: looks similar to 2 but does not have such distinctive rhizome......

Crypt 5: balansae?

They are currently growing in my bottles:

Thanks.

Regards,
    T S Wang

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, I have taken some emmersed growth photographs of the above cryprtocorynes after 3.5 weeks since bottling them, hopefully they will aid in the identification process:

Crypt 2 or 4? (i forgot to tag emmersed and submersed photographs ):

Crypt 2 or 4? (i forgot to tag emmersed and submersed photographs ):

Crypt 5:

Thanks!
    Last edited by illumbomb; 1st Mar 2008 at 12:32. Reason: zoom in photographs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, They belong to the crispatula group.
    I can see that it could be C. crispatula var. balansae and C. crispatula var. crispatula
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks TS. I will post more photographs of the above crypts hopefully when they flower.

I bought 4 crypts from Teo's Farm 2 weeks ago, all of them were in emmersed form when I bought them. The uncle just told me that some were from China and did not tell me the scientific names so I presumed that he might not know and did not probe further. Now I have to trouble you guys again:

crypt 6:

crpyt 7:

crypt 8:

crypt 9 (submersed, these were the one that wiped out my shrimps ):

crypt 9 (emmersed, I remembered the leaves were green when I bought them and had longer leaf stalks (see above photographs), but they melted away and currently I can only share this photograph of the new emmersed leaf, will post more photographs once they grow larger):

their home (along with some echinodorus that I bought from Teo also:

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by illumbomb; 2nd Mar 2008 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My 1st flower ever:

Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just an update, crypt 2 & 4 are growing quite well (if compared to photographs taken 1 month ago) in my mineral water bottles, potting media is blackish / dark brownish in colour bought by my mother (looks similar to horti soil to me) and topped up with a layer of sand + coral chips above.

I have 2 bottles of C. Ferruginea (Sungei Kerait), one with a mixture of used 1 year old ADA Amazonia and ADA Africana which I bought from other members here, and the other with GEX (light green). They are really slow grower and have grown only 1 new leaf each since I potted them 1.5 months ago. The one in GEX looks a little healthier (not implying that ADA is not good but because I am cheapo and use used ADA soils).

I have 2 other questions: 1) what insecticide do you guys use for emersed cryptocoryne (i.e. against Mealy bug, what other bugs do you guys encounter before from your experience?), 2) what is the life cycle of a crypt flower to be expected (i.e. how long (in terms of time) will the spathe grow before the limb opens, how long will the flower last in a healthy condition before the limb starts to "rot", how long will the entire flower rot away), whats the likelyhood of getting a fruit with seed?)

Any comments & suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah... the mealy bugs. I use Confidor which is a systemic pesticide. You can find this in bigger nurseries along Thomson Road. It is a bit more expensive but at least it doesn't stink that bad as the other contact pesticides. Be careful with the dosage in case of melt.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by CK Yeo View Post
    Ah... the mealy bugs.
    ck
    I use detergent mix with tap water to treat mealy bugs on my African violet (a terrestrial plant). It is pretty effective. Haven't tried it before on crypts though
    ~Loke

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I can finally ID my crypt no. 7 (cultivated, bought from Teo's farm emersed) soon......

Hope I don't miss the 1st day the spathe opening...... Somehow, it seems that those cryptocorynes I am growing emersed and exposed to the atmospheric conditions are flowering faster than those grown in the mineral water bottles and in the tanks .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try opening the bottle cap for some ventilation.

ck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My cryptocoryne pontederiifolia wilted after flowering and a few weeks ago, I was instead presented with:

However, due to the constant raining these few days, my flower pot became flooded with water and therefore this morning I tilted the pot to pour away the water into the drain until I saw:

Sigh...... those seeds should have floated into the drain when I poured the water out right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So does the seeds float or sink? Anyone has a close up of these seeds for me to hunt for them in the pot?

I got my hands on another cryptocoryne resently which already have a reddish spathe attached. These leaves were quite unique, some were fully dark green in colour while some had light green veins (nutrient dificiency?). I cut all the leaves away except the new leaf as shown below. The leaf stalk can grow more than 10cm long. Any ID?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Two cryptocorynes which I previously bought in emersed form from Teo's Farm flowered, this time round together. They are left to grow outside my balcony in a long flower bed (What are those cryptocorynes in my emersed tank doing? Sleeping????):

Cryptocoryne 6:

Cryptocoryne 7:

Anyone can help with the ID? I suspect they might be variants of Cryptocoryne wendtii.....
    Last edited by illumbomb; 6th Jul 2008 at 13:13.