Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Weight of CO2 tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    For a fully-charged 5l CO2 tank (those sold by NA), what will be its weight? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    do you know the tare weight of those co2 tank?
    5 litres of liquid co2 will be about 5.15kg.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The brand new bottle was bought from NA just prior to the Lunar New Year. (Was a bit surprised when the "fully charged" bottle ran out of CO2 after a month!) Prior to bringing it to a certain shop for instant recharging, I used a bathroom scale to weigh it. It was close to 8 kg. After the return from the recharging, I used the same scale to check. It read 11kg. It should have read 13.5kg, right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Problem with instant top up is that it doesn't fill up your co2 cylinder completely, if cylinder is not cooled sufficiently, co2 may be lost. But a difference of 2.5 kg? That's too much right?

I had to ask this, you sure your cylinder is 5 litres?
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    co2 cylinder will not filled to 100%. if i remember correctly, the figure should be around 60/40%; 60% liquid and 40% gaseous co2. the 40% volume is meant for gaseous co2 to expand when the co2 cylinder is warmed up by ambient heat. without this "spare" volume, the gaseous co2 pressure could rise quickly resulting in overpressure. then the pressure relief valve will vent.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Thomas,

Thanks for sharing this useful piece of information, I didn't know that.
    Makes perfect sense.

Cheers
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tawauboy View Post
    co2 cylinder will not filled to 100%. if i remember correctly, the figure should be around 60/40%; 60% liquid and 40% gaseous co2. the 40% volume is meant for gaseous co2 to expand when the co2 cylinder is warmed up by ambient heat. without this "spare" volume, the gaseous co2 pressure could rise quickly resulting in overpressure. then the pressure relief valve will vent.
    How does the person who fills the tank know that the liquid CO2 has reached 60%?

I have few occasions when my tank is filled within 10 mins but it only lasts within a month (shorter than usual period ~2.5 months). Not much change in term of bubble count. I wonder if the person measures the content is more of subjective (by feeling) and by reading the tank pressure. When the pressure reaches 1000 PSI, he gauges how much of liquid has been filled. So there is no consistent result, which is what I have been observing... (I don't mean to raise a controversial or accuse someone of cheating. I am just curious what instrument is used during the filling process).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The shop hanged the bottle on a scale and pumped in the CO2. I presume maximum capacity is reached when "X" weight is reached. On at least 5 previous occasions I used the same shop to charge a 1.5l bottle. Though the bubble rate was constant throughout, the gas would normally ran out in 2months but on a couple of occasions it only lasted 1 month. Hence, my interest to know the weight of CO2.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    the correct way should be by weighing. pressure will not tell you anything. at 1000+ psi, you can never tell if it is filled with gaseous co2 only or gaseous + liquid co2.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My 5l tank ran out of CO2 today! The last charging was 35 days ago. I understand a 5l tank can last 3-4 months at 4-5 bps for 10 hrs a day. Am I correct? If I am, then perhaps it is time to find another CO2 charging company. Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    did you measure the weight of your co2 tank before and after refill? for your tank, the co2 weight should be about 3kg.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    did you measure the weight of your co2 tank before and after refill? for your tank, the co2 weight should be about 3kg.
    Yes, the weight of the empty tank was 8 kg (using bathroom scale). Used the same scale to weigh it after charging. It read 11 kg. So the qty of the gas was correct? How come it only lasted slightly more than a month? There were no leaks in the system as I did a soap water test.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    bubble size for different types of bubble counters so using bubble rates as a gauge for usage is not right.
    you may have to observe the co2 bubble rate over a day to ensure that the bubble rate stays consistent. for a start, remove co2 tubing from reactor/diffusor and fully open the needle valve. let a blast of co2 flow to "clean" the needle valve. then tune the needle to desired bubble rate and observe over a few days to ensure that the bubble rate remains consistent.
    later, you can refill your tank with different companies/lfs.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    bubble size for different types of bubble counters so using bubble rates as a gauge for usage is not right.
    you may have to observe the co2 bubble rate over a day to ensure that the bubble rate stays consistent. for a start, remove co2 tubing from reactor/diffusor and fully open the needle valve. let a blast of co2 flow to "clean" the needle valve. then tune the needle to desired bubble rate and observe over a few days to ensure that the bubble rate remains consistent.
    later, you can refill your tank with different companies/lfs.
    Yup, observing constant co2 for at least a week, i connected mine to a ans bubble counter after letting the co2 gas diffused to the tank via a clean hose. Fortunately the rate remains the same, so there was no leak for my new setup.