Country
    Singapore

Eheim Pro 2224 filter outflow issue

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

need some help. I'm using Eheim Pro 2224 canister filter, which has an output rate of 700l/h. However, with it being only 8w, and with an external CO2 reactor and some clogging of the filter media, the output seems to be much lesser than 700l/h. I'm thinking of getting an external pump to power the canister. ie. external pump --> 2224 --> external CO2 reactor --> lily pipe.

Is it safe to remove the impeller of the 2224, and power it using a 1200l/h pump?
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I assume you will turn off/unplug your 2224. It should be ok to remove the impeller.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup. The 2224 will be just a housing for the filter media. It'll only be powered by the external pump. I'm only afraid that the pressure from the 1200l/h pump might be too great for the canister.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have no idea on that, never try it before, never know until you try
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha! Don't dare to try. Later flood my living room and kill my tank. Thanks anyway bro.

Anyone elsehave tried or can help with this question?
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Personally won't recommend it. Suggest to get another cheap 2nd hand filter for the co2 reactor or if you have the budget, upgrade to a more powerful filter. Personally, I'm using pro3e 2078 with 2 outlets (one internal co2 reactor and other lily pipe) and able to get very good flow rate for both outlets at just 50% of the max filter capacity with media of 1100l/h (indicated by display).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the reply, but that's the problem exactly. I don't have the budget to upgrade. I could get a pump to power the CO2 reactor, but then I'll need to add another outflow to the tank, which is ugly. Using a T-joint to channel both outputs to the lily pipe isn't feasible either, cos the more powerful pump might further reduce the filter's output.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    why not use the pump just to power the reactor?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That seems like a good idea at first, but then I'll need to add another outflow to the tank, which is ugly. Using a T-joint to channel both outputs to the lily pipe isn't feasible either, cos the more powerful pump might further reduce the filter's output.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It might leak with the increased pressure.

Second the idea of using a separate powerhead for the reactor. But also agree that the extra pipe might not be aesthetically pleasing. Either that or upgrade to bigger filter or different brand. The non-eheims might have higher flowrates.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Argh... yet again... assuming its safe, the best way is to use an external pump. I could use a 600l/h pump, but it's kind of silly, since the filter itself is 700l/h. However, the 600l/h pump definitely has a higher wattage than the inbuilt 2224 8w pump.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm using 1250 to pump 2224

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My view is, never fool around with the flow rate for your canister filters.
    Not sure if you're aware and whether you agree with this or not, but slow flow is actually good for your filter, it gives the bacterial more time to do their job. Increasing the rate of flow of water across your filter media will reduce the effectiveness of your bio-filtration.

If it is flow you're worried about, how about considering:
    1) using a pump to power your reactor (you have rule this out), or
    2) switching to diffuser, or
    3) adding a powerhead / wavemaker in your tank

Cheers
    - eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PlAnTaNoOb View Post
    Hi bros,

need some help. I'm using Eheim Pro 2224 canister filter, which has an output rate of 700l/h. However, with it being only 8w, and with an external CO2 reactor and some clogging of the filter media, the output seems to be much lesser than 700l/h. I'm thinking of getting an external pump to power the canister. ie. external pump --> 2224 --> external CO2 reactor --> lily pipe.

Is it safe to remove the impeller of the 2224, and power it using a 1200l/h pump?
    Put the external power head after the 2224 and before the reactor. There will not be any increase in water pressure within the 2224.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with bro bossteck on the messing around with the filter flow rate. A flow of 1-2xtank volume per hour is best for the bio-filtration. Consider using another smaller filter for the reactor if you still wishes to use the reactor. However, more maintenance needed for the extra filter. Using a pump may have problem such as debris/dirt stuck in the reactor and requires frequent cleaning. Cleaning external reactor is not simple tasks (have to open the reactor, clean, attach back and invert for the flow to pass through when starting filter etc).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    okok. Point taken. Thanks bro bossteck and O2bubble. I guess I'll consider getting a glass diffuser.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, after some reading, I'm a little confused.

The filter bacteria require a lot of O2, and a low flow rate seems to be rather bad for the water.

"Restricted water flow reduces filter ammonia removal capacity, may cause the filter to run over, and almost surely will cause oxygen starved areas to develop in the filter. Oxygen starved, anaerobic, areas produce hydrogen sulfide and other toxic and smelly compounds that can cause direct fish kills in the system." (from http://aquanic.org/publicat/state/il..._biofilter.htm)

In filter systems like the fluidised bed design, high pressure water is used. As such, the bacteria are able to get their required O2.

It seems that greater flow is always better, save energy consumption considerations??
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Sean,

The case you're describing here is usually brought about by the compactness of media coupled with poor flow. You don't really get to see this in your canister filter because filter media are usually 'hole-ly', think of the typical design of ceramic rings and you will get what I mean, the flow in your canister filter also cannot be described as 'restricted'.

Instead, most hobbyist would see the case you described in the substrate of their tank, especially if the setup has been left for a while and the substrate is seldom vaccumed. Try as we might, there are bound to be dead spots in a tank, more so if it is planted. It is at those dead spots where there are higher chance for the substrate to turn anaerobic like what you described above.

Cheers
    Last edited by bossteck; 12th Mar 2008 at 23:17.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ahhh... I see. You've got a point. Haha. You're good, bro.
    I guess i'll have to think of another method.
    How about I take Mok's advice, and place a 600l/h pump in between the filter and the reactor, and leave the impeller in and the filter plugged in? ie. 2224f filter --> 600l/h pump --> reactor --> lily pipe. That way, the pump can assist the filter to run at around 600l/h, which I guess is greater than the filter's output now, but not greater than what the filter was designed to handle, and the reactor won't be dirty. The only draw back I can foresee would be that the pump's lifespan would be reduced due to the restricted input. Atman pumps are not that expensive, but the only worry I have would be the pump overheating and start burning? Will that happen?
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If you put the external pump after the 2224, you'll need to remove the impeller of the 2224. The lower flow rate of the 2224 will slow down the overall flow rate.

All canister filters have the pump/impeller at the outflow to reduce the canister pressure when in operation. Running a pump before the inlet to the canister will add pressure on top of the water head pressure in the canister. Chances of leaking at the O-ring area will be higher. The impeller will also be at risk when any gravels are accidentally sucked in if you run the pump before the filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast