Images
    Country
    Singapore

Alcohol vs digital thermometer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Any bro here got any idea which is more accurate?

My opinion is alcohol type is more accurate. As it's using the expansion of liquid which is fixed. But i'm not sure how a digital type works.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've used both, and i prefer alcohol type better. Not sure about the accuracy, the main plus points is that they are more reliable & maintence free.

Eventhough it does not give readings to the decimal points, but you do not have to worry about having to change batteries or worried that the electrical components will rust.

I've used both submerse & external digital thermometers. The submerse ones had water seeped in & it's a gonner. The external ones had rusted parts & the readings became inaccurate. In the end I bought a alcohol type, & have been using it since then with no complains & issues.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfinder78 View Post
    Any bro here got any idea which is more accurate?

My opinion is alcohol type is more accurate. As it's using the expansion of liquid which is fixed. But i'm not sure how a digital type works.

I prefer alcohol as its cheap, no need battery, no need to calibrate, no wires and some of them small enough to hide somewhere.

Electronic ones are can be totally out of calibration, and worse of all can't last as they will leak, or just go blank. Unless of course you get a lab quality one. (EXpensive)

You do not need decimal point accuracy for a aquarium anyway.

IMHO

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think alcohol thermo is C&G (cheap & good) =)). but use which will depend on your tank design. mine is a 1ft nano therefore I use a external digital ($5) where I just hide the probe behind plants & paste the reader beside my table so that I can read e temp any time (i'm keeping crs =.=)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have a alcohol thermometer. But after 1 to 2 months of usage, the markings faded away.
    I had to throw it away.
    Moral of the story, get a good thermometer if you intend to go alcohol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    im using a gex alcohol thermo, works great and its small, idea of nano tanks.