Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: DIY CO2

Feedback Score

DIY CO2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    HElp,,, Been trying ou the DIY CO2 but everytime finish very fast. Thus I decided to increase the amount of sugar to 500g and just add 1/2 a teaaspoon of yeast. Wow. the effect is good. just a normal 500ml bottle lasted me 2 weeks. but now here come the bad point is that my fishes looked as if they are drunk... normally they are very lifely and would come to the surface to eat when there is food. now they just swim very slow and did not even eat the food. i decide to change the CO2, Yucks. the smell is like a beer... did i left my CO2 for too long???
    What can i do to help my fishes???
    Thanks

Feedback Score

DIY CO2

HElp,,, Been trying ou the DIY CO2 but everytime finish very fast. Thus I decided to increase the amount of sugar to 500g and just add 1/2 a teaaspoon of yeast. Wow. the effect is good. just a normal 500ml bottle lasted me 2 weeks. but now here come the bad point is that my fishes looked as if they are drunk... normally they are very lifely and would come to the surface to eat when there is food. now they just swim very slow and did not even eat the food. i decide to change the CO2, Yucks. the smell is like a beer... did i left my CO2 for too long???
    Thanks

Feedback Score

DIY CO2

Thanks

Feedback Score

DIY CO2

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For DIY CO2 it is normal that your solution smells like beer. Thats because the CO2 you want is created by a fermentation process similar to that used in the creation of beer...

As for your fish acting funny, could it be that someone kicked over or toppled your CO2 solution? In DIY CO2 setups shaking the bottle or toppling it can cause a sudden spurt in production of CO2 This sometimes causes the solution itself to overflow the bottle and spill into your tank. In the worse case the bottle can explode due to pressure and cause a horrific (and smelly) mess.

If it isn't due to your solution overflowing, then I'm outta suggestion as to the cause... maybe others might know.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    limbs1978..aerate the tank to remove excess CO2. It is likely to be CO2 overdose. In order to lengthen the duration of DIY CO2, the key is sugar. Add more sugar and not yeast. Increasing yeast increases CO2 bubble rate but uses more sugar and thus exhausting the solution faster. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Thanks... Will try...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    there was a discussion on diy co2 earlier.
    diy co2 thread
    thomas liew