Country
    Singapore

Fertilization

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear reader(s),

I am new to this site and spent more than 3 hours straight on it. I find it very interesting as it is very relevant and most importantly very local. As a planted tank guy, I am glateful to those guys maintaining this great site. I have some questions which I hope you guys were to be kind (I am sure you are) to help me out:
    1) I have 4ftx2ftx2ft tank, when changing 25% (about 100L) water per 2 weeks, how much Flourish, Flourish Fe, Flourish K+, Epsom salt, KSO4 and KNO3 should I add to achieve equilibrium? Note: I have about 50 small fishes (like cardinals), 2 baby ranchos and 4 discus (medium size). I feed them tetra dry food once every 2 days.
    2) How can one totally eliminate those algae on the glass wall (my biggest enemy)? I saw the some postings which suggest malayan trumpet sail and flower snail. Do you have a picture of them?
    3) Who is C328 and LFS?
    4) I am thinking of getting a reliable CO2 regulator (one that would stay accurate with one time adjustment). My budget is up to $120. Any good suggestion?
    5) Whare can I get KS04 and KNO3?

Thanks,

FC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fertilization

Dear reader(s),

I am new to this site and spent more than 3 hours straight on it. I find it very interesting as it is very relevant and most importantly very local. As a planted tank guy, I am glateful to those guys maintaining this great site. I have some questions which I hope you guys were to be kind (I am sure you are) to help me out:
    1) I have 4ftx2ftx2ft tank, when changing 25% (about 100L) water per 2 weeks, how much Flourish, Flourish Fe, Flourish K+, Epsom salt, KSO4 and KNO3 should I add to achieve equilibrium? Note: I have about 50 small fishes (like cardinals), 2 baby ranchos and 4 discus (medium size). I feed them tetra dry food once every 2 days.
    2) How can one totally eliminate those algae on the glass wall (my biggest enemy)? I saw the some postings which suggest malayan trumpet sail and flower snail. Do you have a picture of them?
    3) Who is C328 and LFS?
    4) I am thinking of getting a reliable CO2 regulator (one that would stay accurate with one time adjustment). My budget is up to $120. Any good suggestion?

Thanks,

FC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fertilization

Dear reader(s),

3) Who is C328 and LFS?

Thanks,

FC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fertilization

Dear reader(s),

3) Who is C328 and LFS?

Thanks,

FC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Additional info for my question 1. My tank parameters:
    1) Plants are 70% fast growers.
    2) KH 4, GH 3, PH 6.6
    3) 27-29 degree celcius, fan cool
    4) 36W x 6 flourescent 6500K, 10 hrs
    5) Eheim 2228

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    [quote]
    ----------------
    On 11/12/2002 11:47:22 PM
    for commerical fertilizer, pls follow the instruction given, as for how much, it depends on how much water u changing.. say 100litres, and for every 20litres u put in 5ml.. so u add 24ml.. but i suggest u underdose and see how yr plants react to the fertilizer. Epsom salt? y do u need it in yr tank? as for the other things like KS04 and KNO3, supposed u need to have the proper test kit to check that particular element in yr tank, refer to dr. mallick in our Lfs list

best way to remove those algae is using a glass scaper, IMO, nothing beats using one rather than depending on algae eaters

3) Who is C328 and LFS?
    C328 = clementi Blk 328 aka clementi florist and aquarium.
    Lfs = local fish shop

u can try Nature aquarium opposite thomson medical centre, for address pls refer to the lfs list

same as above, look for Dr. mallack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Simon answered most of the other questions.... so I'll just comment on your first point.

Each tank is individual and its near impossible for anyone to tell you how to fertilize your tank. Having said that, there are many fertilizer systems available. Dennerle, Dupla, and SeaChem... If you intend to use the complete range of a particular system, you would typically find that your plant's fertiliaztion needs will be met. The biggest downside to using these systems is that they tend to cost a bomb.

As such, some of us who want to save money resort to using PMDD.... or poor mans dosing drops... sometimes also called poor mans dupla drops. This is where most people find the need to use KNO3 K2SO4 and MgSO4. The link provided above should give you tons of info should you choose to go this way... but again no ones PMDD solution is perfectly matched for another. In short PMDD is just short for checking your water and supplementing the missing/depleted nutrients.

Personally, I only supplement my tank with TMG and KNO3 and so far so good.

Allen

p/s you could feed your fish a bit more often too
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm... theres a misconception that algae can be controlled by reducing fert. This isn't really the case. In all cases, it's a matter of balancing the fert with lights and CO2. As such, sometimes it means increasing the limiting fert so that your plants can absorb the other nutrients from the water column and thus reduce the nutrients available to algae.

Avoid using KNO3 unless you know your tank is low on N. Next, you can increase N (and PO4) by feeding more.

I find that 20 to 30 ppm of K (more economical to dose with K2SO4 then Flourish K) per week does wonders for my tanks, and other forumers who have tried report good results.

Epsom salts, only if your water GH is low. Mind shoots thru the roof without any addition. I think excess Mg limits Ca uptake.

Fe, go with the recommended dosage. When things are stable, try more to see the effect (redder red plants, hopefully).

Personally, I use only Flourish, Flourish Fe and K2SO4.

Before you try anything, test your water and observe your plants to find out what is missing. NO3 should be around 5 to 10 ppm, PO4 at 0.5 to 1.0 ppm for a start. Read the plant section of www.thekrib.com for more info on fert. There's a difficiency symptoms chart there too.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/13/2002 4:20:21 PM

Hmmm... theres a misconception that algae can be controlled by reducing fert. This isn't really the case. In all cases, it's a matter of balancing the fert with lights and CO2. As such, sometimes it means increasing the limiting fert so that your plants can absorb the other nutrients from the water column and thus reduce the nutrients available to algae.

----------------
    I agree with Vinz 100%.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very informed and helpful replies, thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Vinz,

My water parameter:
    NO3 - 5mg/l
    PO4 - not detectable
    Fe - not detectable

Questions:
    1) Does that means that I should feed the fish more? At present once every 2 days.
    2) Why my Fe is so low despite adding Flourish 2ml and Flourish Fe 2ml per week after changing 120L water? Should I test immediately after adding? What about those days after the adding?
    3) For KSO4, where can I get it? What is the dosage in mg/l I should maintain for both K+ & S? What is the concentration of the K+ & SO4 of this KSO4? Is it in powder form?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/14/2002 2:08:22 AM

Hi Vinz,

My water parameter:
    NO3 - 5mg/l
    PO4 - not detectable
    Fe - not detectable

Questions:
    1) Does that means that I should feed the fish more? At present once every 2 days.
    2) Why my Fe is so low despite adding Flourish 2ml and Flourish Fe 2ml per week after changing 120L water? Should I test immediately after adding? What about those days after the adding?
    3) For KSO4, where can I get it? What is the dosage in mg/l I should maintain for both K+ & S? What is the concentration of the K+ & SO4 of this KSO4? Is it in powder form?

Thanks.
    ----------------
    1) Are your plants showing sign of P deficiency? Plants can do well with low P (0.1~0.3ppm). Be careful with P unless you want to set up an algae farm. You can easily use water from another tank with fishes to fertilise your planted tank.
    2) Measure, dose and monitor. Dosing fertilisers is not an exact science, you have to do it trial and error until your Fe equilibrates at 0.2~0.5ppm. Whether it should equilibrate at those level is also tank dependent.
    3)Search for Dr Mallick in here. Most of us using PMDD buy it from him. K should equilibrate at about 20~30ppm, unfortunately there is not a cheap test kit to measure it. Fortunately, K does little harm if they are on the high side. To calculate what you need, use the atomic mass unit of the element as a ratio to the compound multiple by the mass of the salt or use this site for help

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

K2SO4, KNO3 and MgSO47H2O are all salts like. Note, K2SO4 does not dissolve in water readily.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/14/2002 9:25:56 AM
    On the Fe, not to worrying too much unless there is show of deficiency. Fe test kits are not very accurate in general. If you cannot get a reading, let the solution sits for an hour or 2 and see if you get a reading. Also, if spot algae appears on the glass, it might indicate the presence of Fe. Anyway, I would recommend adding Fe through the substrate than water column.

Vinz,
    when you say 20 to 30 ppm of K per week does, do you mean
    1. 20-30 ppm for the total tank volumn or
    2. 20-30 ppm for the weekly water change volumn.

Thanks.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, K2SO4 is approx 45% K, 18% S.

Thus, 1g of K2SO4 contains 450mg K.

1g in 100 litres = 450mg K per 100 litres
    which means 1g K2SO4 would increase 4.5ppm of K for 100 litres.

correct me if I am wrong...getting a bit rusty here.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Regarding yr low level of Fe.

In planted tanks due to the high level of O2, Fe is quickyl oxidised and is useless to plants.

Instead of dosing once a week/ or water change, try dosing a little [NOTE!! a little] every other day.

I'm using PMDD, with the Fe powder in addition to the trace element drops. Very good results so far.

As for potasium(K), a little more is ok, not much harm done as compared to a little too much of Fe or Mg.

Where too much Fe will cause alage to grow like hell, and too much MG will limit the plant's growth.

----------------
    On 11/12/2002 11:56:07 PM

Additional info for my question 1. My tank parameters:
    1) Plants are 70% fast growers.
    2) KH 4, GH 3, PH 6.6
    3) 27-29 degree celcius, fan cool
    4) 36W x 6 flourescent 6500K, 10 hrs
    5) Eheim 2228
    ----------------
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ZeRoC00l
    would you care to share with me what type of fe powder you are using and where did you buy it from and also the dosage ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Question again.

[]
    I have Ludwagia Acurata that was doing fine for the past few months. After adding a set of light (used to be 4x 36W, now 6x 36W), the plant's stem (at the mid-length) started to rot and break away. Is this a sign of nutrient deficiency? If yes, which one?

Having said that, I notice my shrimps (bee & yamato) are glazing on this plant too. May be they are the culprits.

What are your opinion(s)?

Thanks alot

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/14/2002 12:23:10 PM

I'm using PMDD, with the Fe powder in addition to the trace element drops. Very good results so far.

----------------
    Zerocool,

could you elaborate on your Fe powder and also what trace element drops you are using?
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Jacian, I'm dosing 30ppm of total water volume.
    What Fe fert are you using for the substrate? Do you dose liquid Fe as well, or just Fe in the substrate? I'm using ISTA's Laterite Balls in the substrate plus liquid Fe.

FC, most of us (if not all) get our PMDD chems from Dr Mallick. Look for his contact in the AQ LFS list (see top most menu bar).

Fe gets oxidised real fast in high O2 and under bright lights. Follow the Flourish Fe dosage instructions... i believe it says dose every1 or 2 days, right? I agree with Jacian, iron in the substrate is a better idea.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast