Images
    Country
    Singapore

Problem with Vallisneria

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've tried Vallisneria afew times in my aquariums, the problem is i cant really seem to get them growing well. Seems that the leafs are always turning transparent and they die off slowly. Currently having Vallisneria spiralis in my 2ft planted, all the stalks i planted are now turning transparent. Heard that Vallisneria are really hardy plants, but i really dont understand why i always fail in planting them. Please help.
    Zack

Planted tank: Melanotaenia Lacustris, Melanotaenia Parkinsoni, Melanotaenia Praecox,
    Glossolepis Incisus, Melanotaenia Maccullochi, Melanotaenia Boesemani, Iriatherina Werneri, Barilius Canarensis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Vallisneria spiralis 'Tiger' is an excellent plant for beginners, growing in virtually all light and water conditions, however don't believe everything you read from 1 site. I was told too that hairgrass was a low tech easy to grow plants, but with sufficient references and people who actually tried growing them, ive gathered they were quite hard actually.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You need to have good substrate so that Vallisneria can grow well. During the begining vallisneria will melt but after few weeks or so it will start to grow new leaves.

I believe what vallisneria need is base substrate, temperature & lighting too.
    New 2ft Project Coming Up
    Aquascaping since 2006-Present

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    as you can see, even if its deem easy, you still need relatively good parameters to grow them well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vals is quite a heavy root feeder. Try some substrate tablet fertilizer.
    Mine is growing very well in a non-co2 injection, only occasional dosing environment.
    ~Loke

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I dose powder form fertilizers in my ADA Amazonia 2 soil bottom when i first set up my 2ft. Tank is around 1month old now, PH around 6.5 to 6.6. I can see new runners growing out by the sides, but all the main stalks are dying off. Yup...all, i can see dead leafs everywhere.
    Zack

Planted tank: Melanotaenia Lacustris, Melanotaenia Parkinsoni, Melanotaenia Praecox,
    Glossolepis Incisus, Melanotaenia Maccullochi, Melanotaenia Boesemani, Iriatherina Werneri, Barilius Canarensis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Are you dosing excel into your tank? If so I believed that is the reason they are melting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    First thing first, you may want to remove those dead leaves, developing runners is indeed a good sign, it is possible the val is shedding leaves and acustomising itself to your water parameters.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had the same problem with Vals before. Then I read somewhere that it should not be planted too deeply, only letting the substrate cover to just slightly above the roots. I tried that and it worked for me. In fact it flourished so much it became somewhat weedy. Also, it did melt a little first before bouncing back.

All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    im just curious any reason why dosing excel will melt the vallisneria. Im still new to aquatic plants.

thanks.
    Fish Room Inventory
    Plecos : L333, L400, L144, Corydoras black venezuela, Royal whiptail

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, dont mind me adding in Zenislev i heard that vallisneria is well liked by fishes which eat plants is this true?... mine tend to have frayed ends and like chunks at the end that seem to be nibbled off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I not grown Vallis species but have heard they are easy to grow with no co2 , just excel, might want to check with people who have success growing them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have successful keeping them in non-co2 tank & every week I dose Sechem excel. Now it's growing like mad. I believe temperature also plays a part of it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Temperature? My tank have a tamperature of 26 to 27 degress throughout. I guess thats not a problem for vallisneria right?
    Zack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenislev View Post
    Temperature? My tank have a tamperature of 26 to 27 degress throughout. I guess thats not a problem for vallisneria right?
    Yup mine is ranging from 26 to 27 degrees maybe you can stop dosing excel for sometimes & check whether vallisneria is still melting a not.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquascaping1982 View Post
    Yup mine is ranging from 26 to 27 degrees maybe you can stop dosing excel for sometimes & check whether vallisneria is still melting a not.
    Btw bro, im not using excel. Im using powder form Proflora from JBL under my ADA substrate.
    Zack

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Zen, do you have other parameters for your tank as well, like PH as such. Try if possible to post some pics on your val melting, so the rest of us can determine what is wrong.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, will post during my next try on vallisneria tiger. Currently all vallisnerias are dead and i've removed all from my 2ft.
    Zack

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenislev View Post
    Ok, will post during my next try on vallisneria tiger. Currently all vallisnerias are dead and i've removed all from my 2ft.
    Sorry to hear about that, just make sure its dying, not melting with no signs of new leaves.