Images
    Country
    Singapore

Location for internal filter?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can I leave the powerhead (of an internal filter) above water level?

The reason I ask is: the water outlet is located about one third from the top of the filter. The top one third is where is powerhead is. The lower two third is occupied by the filter. So the outlet is at the junction between the powerhead and the filter.

If I want the outlet to be just below water level (so that it can generate ripples at the surface as filtered water come out from the outlet), the powerhead will be above (or at least half above) water level. Is that ok? Will it burn?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by chooz View Post
    Can I leave the powerhead (of an internal filter) above water level?
    That entirely depends on the powerhead and its construction. Some would allow it, many won't, and most will mention the water level in the filter's manual. Usually it's easier to leave the powerhead submerged and direct the outlet stream slightly towards the surface.

By the way: "Surface movement" means moving water away from the surface where it comes in contact with oxygen, and distribute it in the rest of the tank. It does not mean "distorting the surface" - even if they look nice, ripples (let alone hawaiian waves on the surface) are not a must.
    Cheers
    — Freddy —

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Someone gave that internal filter to me. It is a "brandless" one and does not have a instruction manual. It only says do not operate without water.

It also does not have a rotatable outlet to direct the flow. I DIY one on my own last night and it works pretty well.