Images
    Country
    Singapore

Brine shrimp culture

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was wondering if it is possible to keep a brine shrimp culture to provide my fishes with continuous supply of brine shrimp.

Anyone know how to it if it is possible?

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Brine shrimp culture

I was wondering if it is possible to keep a brine shrimp culture to provide my fishes with continuous supply of brine shrimp.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Brine shrimp culture

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Brine shrimp culture

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    with greenwater to keep them alive...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, just add some GW and the brine shrimp will reproduce themselves and keep the culture going?

That simple? Any filtration or other requirements?

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    seen them doing it in the farms, dunno whether aeration is needed.. but yr water has to stay green for them to survive?

Feedback Score
    Sorry, brine shrimps are salt water, if you add green water, the salt content would reduce thus killing them faster. You can do that for daphnias.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guesss adding GW and maintaining the salinity by adding more salt will do the job. I think I will get a small glass tank an try it out.

Now the challenge... to creat GW.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not necessarily....

they just need alkaline water, thus the requirement for salt to drive the pH level upwards... have heard of this guy who experimented with live brine shrimp cultures and he tried it without salt, but he adjusted the pH to a higher level and he maintained a similar amount of hatchlings as compared to those on salt.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Feed Spirulina which is mixed with water.
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    brine shrimp culture requires a certain degree of aeration if not the tank becomes a stagnant pool of dead shrimp. they feed on minute particles in the water. the usual food for adult brine shrimp is a yeast-based suspension sold in some shops but not in singapore i think. in this case u might have to experiment with some foods.

it might just be more worthwhile to culture whiteworms or grindalworms. that is, if u are able to obtain a culture.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have some good quality powder fish food for small fishes. I wonder if I can make a paste out of it to feed the BS.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I still have spirulina. Wanna?
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    this is an excerpt from an FAQ whose author i have somehow managed to delete
    full credit goes to him, and i personally think it's quite a good account of maintaining a brine shrimp farm

Raising Brine Shrimp

I struggled with BS culture for a very long time. I now have a protocol which works fantastic. My 12 - 18 year old students can make it work the first try. BS are hatched (in normal fashion) in inverted 2 liter bottles and harvested after 48 hours. They separated from empty cysts and moved to growout aquarium. I know that many advocate conical bottoms for growout aquarium, but we have found that we do not need them if we hatch the naupli first and transfer them. For growout aquarium we use 28 5 gallon aquarium, a 30 gallon garbage can, a 25 gallon "muck bucket". two 20 gallon aquarium, and various plastic "sweater boxes" or storage boxes. They all work fine. We have also experimented with various substrates, but find that no substrate works best...except we add a bit of used activated carbon each week (about 1g/l). First I use synthetic sea salt. Other(homemade) mixes have not worked for me beyond the first week. In my case I reuse the water which I remove from the marine aquaria in my classroom. The water is about 3.5% salinity..or..with a specific gravity of about 1.026. This is heavily aerated for the first week, moderately aerated the second week, and gently aerated then after. Twice a day we mix up (scale to your needs) 1 tbs. spirulinia powder (expensive but worth it) in 1.5 liter of pure water. This is blended for 4 - 5 minutes. The suspension of spirulinia is allowed to settle for the next 5 to 10 minutes. As it settles the liquid suspension forms on the bottom and a foam layer on top. The suspension is poured through a brine shrimp net to remove larger particles and most of the foam. This liquid is then added to bs aquaria at a rate of about 10 - 50 cc per 20 liters - but only in aquaria which have cleared out the previous feeding and resultant bacterial cloud from the water. The amount depends upon the feeding rate of that particular aquarium. It is
    surprising that when we measure the dissolved oxygen tolerance - we have found that shrimp surviving DO concentrations below 1 mg/l. Which brings me to color. If the DO is low over a sustained period of time - say a 5 to 7 days, you will notice the shrimp changing from a green to reddish. This is reportedly caused by development of an oxygen carrying pigment - hemoglobin or similar pigment. Synthesis of a substance (any substance) is metabolically costly so undoubtedly the nutrient value, growth rate, fecundicity, or some other life parameter is compromised with lower dissolved oxygen rates. Harvest is done with a standard aquarium net. The larger netting allows immature shrimp to remain in culture. Cultures which are not overharvested will become self sustaining in 4 to 6 weeks. Water changes can be minimized with the addition of 1g/l of used (or new if you have the $) activated carbon. This brings me to another point. Our high school aquatic biology program is not funded beyond the most basic (paper pens). We rely upon donations and recycling everything possible.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, Sky devil. I have yet to start the culture. Busy lah.[]

DEA, I have read the article. Thanks for sharing the info. I think it was from The Krib.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    most likely it was
    i dug it out from somewhere in my hard disk