Images
    Country
    Singapore

regarding BBA and hair algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i just saw that there are BBA and some hair algae on my plants.. the hair algae is sort of like stuck to the leaves of my plant and i cant remove it manually cause its like STUCKED there.. any way i can remove them? i plan to have a shrimp only tank.. so i need to get something that doesnt touch the shrimps.. heard yamatoes attacks shrimps... are there other alternatives for BBA and hairgrass?? currently have only bee, cherry shrimps and 9 ottos..
    tank specs:
    75 X 38 X 40cm
    36W X3 8 hrs daily
    no liq. fert yet
    no2 and no3 levels 0..
    if u guys need more info, tell me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i just saw that there are BBA and some hair algae on my plants.. the hair algae is sort of like stuck to the leaves of my plant and i cant remove it manually cause its like STUCKED there.. any way i can remove them? i plan to have a shrimp only tank.. so i need to get something that doesnt touch the shrimps.. heard yamatoes attacks shrimps... are there other alternatives for BBA and hairgrass?? currently have only bee, cherry shrimps and 9 ottos..
    tank specs:
    75 X 38 X 40cm
    36W X3 8 hrs daily
    no liq. fert yet
    no2 and no3 levels 0..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

tank specs:
    75 X 38 X 40cm
    36W X3 8 hrs daily
    no liq. fert yet
    no2 and no3 levels 0..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

tank specs:
    75 X 38 X 40cm
    36W X3 8 hrs daily
    no liq. fert yet
    no2 and no3 levels 0..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I suspect you have the same condition as mine having high PO4 in the water colume which may be the main cause for the BBA and HA.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the algae is stuck to the leaf, remove the leaf.

CO2, KH, pH levels? How old is the tank? What's in your substrate? What plants?

Zero NO3 is not good. N is a macro nutrient and plants need it. Theoretically, your tank may be low on N and P as you will not be introducing them in the form of fish food. It'll be good if you can find out the PO4 levels.

Start liquid fert but at low doses, manually remove algae... observe.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    the tank is 75x38x40, which is about 29g.
    the lighting is >3w/gal.
    you'll need to dose some trace elements as well.
    it will be good if you can test for po4 and fe.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/20/2002 12:32:09 AM

If the algae is stuck to the leaf, remove the leaf.

CO2, KH, pH levels? How old is the tank? What's in your substrate? What plants?

Zero NO3 is not good. N is a macro nutrient and plants need it. Theoretically, your tank may be low on N and P as you will not be introducing them in the form of fish food. It'll be good if you can find out the PO4 levels.

Start liquid fert but at low doses, manually remove algae... observe.
    ----------------
    my tank is abt 1 and half months old and i removed all the infected leaves yesterday already. hope it gets better as for the ph kh co2 levels.. i dont have a testkit for that yet.. the tetra 5-in-1 is not reliable will be getting the individual ones soon..
    i dunno wat is in my substrate.. all i know its called HEXA root grow.. the plant that was infected was Bacopa caroliniana and some Ludwigia arcuata.. no PO4 testkits either..
    as for liq. fert which shld i get??? i have seen Dennerle range of liq. fert.. shld i get them all or only get some of them?? currently i have another kind of liq. fert. by SERA.. could u advise on which liq. fert. to get and use? thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/21/2002 12:24:24 AM

the tank is 75x38x40, which is about 29g.
    the lighting is >3w/gal.
    you'll need to dose some trace elements as well.
    it will be good if you can test for po4 and fe.
    ----------------
    wat are the trace elements?? where can i get them?? sorry no po4 and fe testkits..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/19/2002 10:35:06 PM

I suspect you have the same condition as mine having high PO4 in the water colume which may be the main cause for the BBA and HA.
    ----------------
    it could be... cause the algae appeared only after i tried feeding my shrimps algae wafers []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wah.. so fast my post next page liao.. upz...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can get cheaper alternative trace element then getting the dennerle A1 which cost $50 for a bottle . I'm using the Seachem trace element so far so good. Cheaper too. can easily get from nature or other LFS.

Adding too much algae waffer which contains high phosphate in terms of Vit C (polyphosphate) will quickly use up the N in the water colume which is aslo another reason for the outbreak of HA and BBA.

This is what i'll do if i over fed the pellets containing high amt of phosphate, i'll add addition N to the tank so the tank will not be lack of N for the plants to take in .

P and N works dependantly thats what i know(correct me if i'm wrong). so a balance btw the 2 fert will always help to reduce the growth of algaes such as HA and BBA.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    you can get trace element from dr mallick.
    check address in lfs list.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Only prob with Dr Mallick's trace element mix is that it is quite high in iron (at least the one I bought from him)... which can be a concern if you plan to dose regularly.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    yup! the fe content is something like 20k+mg/l.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For my tank, BBA was growing like crazy nitiall.. but gradually it disappear.

Dosing for PMDD, and trace elemnts continued as usual. water change once in 10 days or so.

What I do is to plant the Hair Grass [duh!], then when they have taken root, and are firmly in the substrate, I give them all a "hair cut"

I cut off all the leaves till abt a little above the substrate. Thus removing all algae stuck on the leaves.

They grow back in a week. So more algae so far <crossing finger>
    i agree the PMDD trace elemtns are a little high on the Fe, just grow more red plants loh....
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!