Country
    Singapore

Vivarium fauna

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I'm new to the world of vivariums, so can I ask? What are amphibious fauna suitable for a small 2 ft vivarium? Are there any that won't crawl out of the tank without a cover?
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the height of your tank must be high enough inorder to prevent your amphibianto crawl out. But i still think is safer to put a cover.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro, newts and frogs are great escape artist. You may try crab, lobster or tortoise, but these will usually try to destroy your plants.

One more reason for the cover is also to preserve the humidity inside the tank so that the plants, especially the emersed aquatic plants, will not dry off.

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Merviso, thanks for your advice. My tank's rather short in height, and my substrate's about 2/3 the height already. If I add a cover, the crypts won't have space to grow upwards. I've been misting them from time to time using a spray bottle. Seems like wendtii brown's the only one that's growing well so far.

As for fauna, I tried putting in my crab. The one you see in my avatar. Like you predicted, it made a meal out of a bunch of wendtii green. And it seems ready to plow the entire tank, so I promptly decided to take it out.

I guess I'll just keep animals that live underwater only, until I get a bigger tank.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you like to share with us the photo of your tank.

I'm also having a tank which is quite short in height. check out my old post: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=38230 ... Look at my last post, I have added in some plants that you can normally see beside small streams... and it is growing out of the tank and without cover. One thing to note is that it might grow much bigger.

One idea that I had is to extend the tank height using arcylic sheet. Another idea is to use the glass cabinet (those like a mini green house) found at Ikea for plants and put it on top of the tank, use arcylic to seal off those exposed portion...

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Crabs can also climb out of the tank... They use their craws and legs to pull themselves along the silicone... I had stepped on small crabs when I kept them in tanks in camp before... Not a pretty site or good feeling...

It is very very tempting to place animals inside tanks, but a beautifully scaped vivarium looks great without animals too!

Oh... Crabs will destroy your vivarium in no time... Unless you don't want plants...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...