Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question Wild Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I am totally a newbie to aquascaping, as well as this forum. Am planning to start a planted tank soon, so been reading up and getting equipment ready.

Anyone know if we can use those moss commonly found on tree barks? Not sure what moss it is called... If we can, how do we prepare it before using it in our tanks?

Thanks for any advice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Perhaps would help if the first thing to look at is the time you have to invest in this hobby and the kind of maintainance you would like to commit, eg. low tech, high tech. I see alot of people who buys alot of stuff only to sell them again in 2-3 months time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks bro for the advice. Think I start low tech 1st, slowly upgrade when I got the budget and need....

Still need answers to the following questions:

Anyone know if we can use those moss commonly found on tree barks?

If we can, how do we prepare it before using it in our tanks?

Thanks for any input regarding the question.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 14th Apr 2008 at 18:36. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Those moss found on the tree might not necessary be suitable for aquatic tanks.

I suggest you read up more on on the type of mosses available in the market before rushing into it.

In general, moss grow better in cold water.

So minimum you will need a fan to bring the temperature down.

Don't rush into it. Save up or look around for 2nd deal is a way to save cost

Cheers

PS: Kindly refrain from using shortform or sms lingo.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gemo82 View Post
    Thanks bro for the advice. Think I start low tech 1st, slowly upgrade when I got the budget and need....

Still need answers to the following questions:

Anyone know if we can use those moss commonly found on tree barks?

If we can, how do we prepare it before using it in our tanks?

Thanks for any input regarding the question.
    Hi, i have tried to cultivate such tree bark moss.. so far it turns out okay. However, you need to put in alot of effort and time in converting them from 'emerse' to 'submerse'.. that is being able to adjust to growing in water.

I constantly kept them wet before filling the container with a low level of water. If there are new fronds.. that means you are half way to success to growing them in aquatic conditions. This takes really alot of time.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can try java moss if you have a problem with temperature. This moss can take higher temperatures.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    One thing about culturing wild moss is that you might be introducing unknown bacteria/diseases. So do quarantine them apart from the other plants before introducing them together.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the advice out there.

To Wackytpt: I am not rushing, I hope. Am trying to get 2nd hand stuff now but also scared I get conned (even though I checked the retail price and average 2nd hand price), cause I do not know how to check the condition of equipment like filters or CO2 sets.

To Salphur: Congratulations!! What is new frond? Roughly how long did it take for you to successfully cultivate it in your main tank?

To PlAnTaNoOb: Thank you. Heard a lot about Java Moss but don't think I can regconise it yet when I see it at aquarium shop.

To xaine: To quarantine them is to keep them away, but what to look out for when I quarantine??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi gemo82,
    new fronds are like new leaves growing out... mostly in a brighter shade of green compared to the old leaves. Secondly, if the moss do not turn brown or black after some time in the water... it should be alright. I have also dose some amount of liquid fertilisers in the water as well.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Salphur; 15th Apr 2008 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the advice out there.

To xaine: To quarantine them is to keep them away, but what to look out for when I quarantine??
    Just treat them like you quarantine fishes. But give them some good rinse with the tank water, and also see it's reaction after a week or so in the quarantine tank. Usual ways of disinfecting plants is to use potassium permaganate (those crystals that make the water purple). That was what I have used long ago, not sure if it's still out there in the market.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi gemo82, LFSs usually label their mosses on the plastic packaging like "Java", Spikey", "Taiwan", etc. Over time, you will learn to differentiate them from their looks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Getting Equipment for setup

I am buying over a CO2 cylinder with solenoid regulator from a brother in this forum this week. Hope the CO2 set is working well with no faults.

I am thinking of buying a new Hailea tank set also. 590mm x 335mm x 490mm. It is stated as a 60L tank. The lighting that comes with it is a 24 Watts PL tube on the canopy. And an internal filter I am not sure of the specifications. Price of the set is $98. Is the price reasonable? Is the lighting adequate? Will consider adding a 24 watts PL light to the canopy, but don't know if there is enough space in the canopy area for me to do so.

Intending to get a Jebo 825 external filter for $65. Is price and flowrate ok?

Meanwhile I'll try to experiment with the tree moss with the advice given by the pros here. Intend to set up my tank proper in May (after my exams), so hopefully one month's time will be enough for me to get things ready and that the moss cultivation will be successful.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If you are considering upgrading, might want to get a customised tank and buy your own equipment, that way you have more choice and will be able to get stuff suited for you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi torque6,

Yes it will be best if I can get a customised tank. But will it be expensive? What I need is basically a 2 feet tank with a canopy with lighting of around 48 watts. I want a canopy because I do not want unwanted things to get into the tank and for aesthetic purpose. Anywhere I can just buy a tank canopy?

Peharps I should keep this thread as the title suggest and start another thread if I need help with equipment (which I definitely do!!). Thanks to all the advice out there!!

I was bored studying for my coming exams and decided to take my dog out for a stroll, and brought back some moss from the tree I saw (subconsciously?)

Washed an old plastic tank I had, some pebbles and a short tree branch with boiling water. Washed the moss in tap water. Cut out 8 pieces of netting into 1" squares and 2 pieces of 3" squares. Place the moss over the netting, 5 pebbles and tree branch, without sercuring them with threads. Left 2 small pieces of moss and one bigger piece on their original tree barks as they are.

Currently filled up with tap water to cover the pieces of moss on netting and small barks, such that they do not float away from what I intend for them to grow on. The moss on pebbles, branch and big bark are not submerged yet.

Keeping a log and photographs of the progress. Hopefully they'll start to attach themselves to the netting, pebbles and tree branch, and that they will start to grow new fronds.

Will update when there is progress.

Been observing the moss everyday and doing daily water change to prevent mosquitoes. Decided to tie them up with sewing thread today. Those on barks and branch still floating, so I weigh them down with the pebbles. No observable new fronds, nor decaying moss, so I guess it is still considered a good sign. Worse comes to worse, they are abundant and free from the wild, so the only cost is effort and time....
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 19th Apr 2008 at 23:34.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why not buy aquatic moss from hobbyists in this forum or from LFS ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Yongliang View Post
    Why not buy aquatic moss from hobbyists in this forum or from LFS ?

actually the fun in this hobby is to explore and see if things work. Just like what we do for most DIY projects.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Yes exploring is fun, to learn new things and DIYing is challenging. Another reason is because I can only start my tank in May, due to having exams now, so just doing something I can now to curb the urge...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi gemo82, i just prunned my moss. got a lot to give away. if you are interested, can sms me for collection at hougang area.

Daniel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi torque6,

Anywhere I can just buy a tank canopy?

have you thought of diying your own canopy using aircontrunking/pvc water pipes? I did 3 set recently. 2 set for montfort sec and one set for myself.
    and as for wild moss, i understand that there are wild aquatic moss available at one of our bigger reservoirs. I might be heading there next weekend to check it out and if it is true, i might harvest some for my tanks......
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 20th Apr 2008 at 00:32.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Daniel, thanks for your offer. Will definitely get to you if I need them.

Hi David, yes I have considered making the hood myself, but the lack of a workshop and tools deterred me slightly. If I have the chance to use my school's workshop, then yes I may start to DIY my tank hood soon during my holidays. Talked to the lab technician and it seemed he do not mind me going back during the holidays to use the school's facilities for personal stuff... haha.... Hope he do not change his mind.

Harvesting moss from reservior? How you reach them? Is it not too deep to reach? Please keep me updated if you found them, and take care not to fall into the water. =)

I should be going over to Bt Timah Hill to collect rocks for aquascaping after my exams. Quite a lot of granite rocks over at the quarry, hopefully I can find some interesting shapes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast