Country
    Singapore

Exclamation pH at 4.5!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys...

measured my 1.5 tank with my Dymax PH pen and it showed 4.5. Will it have any complications? it it too low? cld it be the peat moss that i add in? is dis the cause for my Yamatos to die? any advices? plsss?
    Formally known as EpiCentre in AQ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If your KH is less than 1 or zero, then forget it. Don't worry too much but rather look at the fish and critters.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hhhmmm....one more question: how do i measure KH? Thanks abang!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Use a KH test kit. If you use any form of peat based substrate without using coral chips or add baking soda, you can be sure that the KH is pretty low. Don't worry too much since you won't kill them if you don't mess around with all the parameters. It is when folks mess with things that issues really starts to come.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    syn,
    Most singapore waters at KH=1 or less, i get 0 most of the time. The KH test when i first bought it were abit tricky as i posted sometime back and Peter had correctly pointed out that it was 0.

I only found the KH test useful for making my own 4dkh water from distilled water + bicarbonate soda powder for my drop checker, rightfully it is blue in color to start off with till water changes to yellow indicating your KH.

PH 5> is fine however you need to monitor your fishes. I had my snails's shell coroding when i had very low PH.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee View Post
    Use a KH test kit. If you use any form of peat based substrate without using coral chips or add baking soda, you can be sure that the KH is pretty low. Don't worry too much since you won't kill them if you don't mess around with all the parameters. It is when folks mess with things that issues really starts to come.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Peter,
    thanks for the valuable infos man.. doin some online research on the Kh tests. it got my technical brain corrupted reading those chemistry related topics
    my fished are doing ok so far....just that my Yamatos.....all vanished. is dat the main reason why my Yamatos die?

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    syn,
    Most singapore waters at KH=1 or less, i get 0 most of the time. The KH test when i first bought it were abit tricky as i posted sometime back and Peter had correctly pointed out that it was 0.

I only found the KH test useful for making my own 4dkh water from distilled water + bicarbonate soda powder for my drop checker, rightfully it is blue in color to start off with till water changes to yellow indicating your KH.

PH 5> is fine however you need to monitor your fishes. I had my snails's shell coroding when i had very low PH.
    torque...yeah, i'm monitoring the situation. i'm responsible for the well being of my hobby, flora or fauna alike..., those tests you mentioned to me seems so Russian to me.. heheheh...

thanks for all the help bros...i appreciate it, really...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Depends on what type of fish you have in there really. Cichlids are famous for hurting shrimps as food.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    gggrrr...my faunas are 10 cardinals tetras and 3 rummies...2 otos and 1 sae... seems harmless to me..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If u wanna increase ur Ph, either add CCs or Baking Soda (aka Bicarbonate of Soda). For my 6footer, Ive given up on CCs. 21kg of CCs and pH is only at 6. The bioload is simply too high. Im adding BS for now. Works well.....its safe. Just dun go above 2 degree pH in less than 24 hours, else that will most definitely stress ur fishes out

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Occellatus View Post
    If u wanna increase ur Ph, either add CCs or Baking Soda (aka Bicarbonate of Soda). For my 6footer, Ive given up on CCs. 21kg of CCs and pH is only at 6. The bioload is simply too high. Im adding BS for now. Works well.....its safe. Just dun go above 2 degree pH in less than 24 hours, else that will most definitely stress ur fishes out
    mind sharing your 'recipe'?

6footer = ? tablespoon of BS

so for my 1.5 ft = .....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaSynthesis View Post
    mind sharing your 'recipe'?

6footer = ? tablespoon of BS

so for my 1.5 ft = .....
    I have a pH meter, so i just dose in small amounts each time and monitor. I will just pour straight off the bottle. Anyway, for a 1.5ft, maybe just dose a teaspoon each time. Im sure the amount will be fine. You do need to do constant checks of ur PH though. Quite tedious if u dun have a pH meter.