Country
    Singapore

DIY Lighting experimentation - Montfort Aquascaping

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    As suggested by Bryan, I'll try to do some explanation about what we tried to do. Credit goes largely to David ( Altum_lover76) who inspired us to try this out.
    Our initial setup:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...5/6/PIC124.jpg
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...5/6/PIC127.jpg
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...5/6/PIC126.jpg

This is our prototype no.1. Honestly, it's not sufficiently bright, but there is still potential to the setup, with improvements to be made. We'll have to wait for a couple of months to test the next series out.
    Each Board currently houses 40 LEDs. Each LED has an approx 6500k as specified by manufacturer. These are the ordinary super bright LEDs. We loaded the centre strip with 5 boards. It's pretty stingy. As you can see, we have to create sufficient lighting with 2 other strips of PL lights (also DIY), totalling 4 no. of tubes. Currently, we are only operating on 3 tubes as one balast needs replacement. Still, lighting seems sufficient, says our consultant
    I suspect if you pack alot more LEDs on each board, it would be sufficiently bright for the length of each strip. So if you compare with current standard lights, it would be more costly still. If the centre strip is reconfigured, it could easily hold about 8-10 boards. And each board can hold up to 80-100 LEDs. So we can peak it to about 1000 LEDs per strip. That should easily blow a few hundred dollars off your pocket if you try it out
    Each LED requires only 3V to light up. We're using the same transformer as David as shown over the last few days in his thread. So that can easily take up to over 1000LEDs if need be... We've set up 3 transformers, each able to take up to 3.5A. So there's lots of room for other things.

Bryan, as you mentioned, the fans are facing each other. It is actually configured this way, as the fans are meant to alternate in timing, giving one fan time to rest as the other works. The LEDs emits little heat, so the fans are largely for cooling of water.

We still have a few other issues to think about... the earthing/waterproofing of the setup... yet to be done.
    It's also possible to waterproof the LEDs... that will be our next experimentation without having to build a cover.... till we build it.

Oh... and for those who have been wondering, the semi-circle cover is also done DIY style.
    Honestly, I'm really a green horn. If any of you have queries, do be patient if I do not reply for some time... work issues will be holding me up for probably over the next few weeks/months. Will try to answer if I can find sufficient time. Over to all the experts now.
    Last edited by jmoriginal; 22nd Apr 2008 at 00:32. Reason: left out one more detail