Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

malayan shrimp colors

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm just wondering... does anyone have any idea as to what makes a malayan shrimp a particular color? My current batch of malayans have the nicest colors in my experience with them so far... I've got jet black ones, jet black with a red spot, brown, transparent, and even one which is bright red (like cooked lobster red).

I'm guessing that its either something to do with their diet, or maybe it has something to do with water, or the presence (or lack) of predators.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i've no idea, but i think that's one of the beauty of getting malayan shrimps.

they're hardier, cheaper, more colourful!

yeah, about that 'like cooked lobster' bit, it once got me worried cos i thought those 'cooked red' shrimps were dead! then they waved at me... []
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Hi Allen,

I think you refer to the shrimps you got from Gan, which i also got some for my friend. Hers is excatly like what you described. Very nice. I think it is the spices that caused it. Cuz she has bare tank and no special feeding.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually I never bought the shrimps from gan... I bought mine from gen-x and believe me they were just plain translucent when they were dumped in. Only after going in did they change...

can't to think of it one of my yamato are sporting an interesting stripe... its a bit fluorescent kinda like the stripe on a glowlight tetra though not as bright... hehehe mebbe I got a "glowlight" yamato
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Then you must have been keeping them in good condition Good on you. How's your plants. I saw your post and notice you are very pleased with your plants. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, my E.T.s growing very nicely and the red flame is sprouting a new leaf every 3-4 days... The only sad part is that the new leaves come out bright red, then fade to a more green/red hue... Oh well can't win em all.

I think given another 2-3 weeks my tank should be "presentable" at least thats what I'm hoping.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I realised that the malayan shrimps changes colour according to the tank's condition. I had one which is dark brown with a stripe and when I throw it from 1 tank to another, it turns colour. To a lighter transluction then to blue.

Anyone had information on why they changes colour?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    how much you guys got them for?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    typical prices locally are $10-12 for a bag of hundred
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    think ben from tiong bahru can offer a better price

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    me looking for 10-20 kind of thing leh, not in the hundreds...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Some shops if not most shops sell them loose, but be prepared to pay more... like mebbe 20 cents each (I'm guessing).
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    GenX's 20cents each for small quantity.

Thomas from GenX did tell me that their malayan shrimps have 3 different colors. think was blue, reddish and brown, but i saw greenish ones in one of their tanks.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually I think its wasteful to buy based on colors as I believe their colors will change based on their tank conditions.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gan selling them at 20¢ ea.
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken