Images
    Country
    Singapore

regarding PMDD

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all, i have got a list of questions i would like to ask.

1) i would like to ask can i just use PMDD instead of those commercial liq. fert products for my tank? do i need to use commercial products + PMDD together so it will work out nicely?

2) What do plants need to grow? (K?so4??)

3) how do i go abt doing PMDD?

4) What are PMDD ingredients??

5) Where can i get all the PMDD ingredients that contains all the necessary elements that my plants will need?

6) how frequent shld i dose PMDD into my tank?

7) and as for those fertilizer to add into the substrate.. wat shld i add to supplement?? (jobe sticks???) can give me all the names of products? and also i would like the name of the ball thingy to make plants red.. i forgot the name

how frequent shld i add those fertilizer into substrate??

sorry for the long list of questions... thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    [quote]
    ----------------
    On 11/25/2002 9:39:11 PM

hi all, i have got a list of questions i would like to ask.

1) i would like to ask can i just use PMDD instead of those commercial liq. fert products for my tank? do i need to use commercial products + PMDD together so it will work out nicely?

You can use only PMDD. You will not need to use commercial micronutrient supplements.

2) What do plants need to grow? (K?so4??)

K, N, P, Mg, S, C - The Macros.
    Fe, Cu, Zn, Mn, Mo, Co - The Micros.

3) how do i go abt doing PMDD?

Check www.thekrib.com for the recipe under plants/fertiliser/

4) What are PMDD ingredients??

Fe-EDTA, MnSO4, CUSO4, MgSO4, Na4MoO4, ZnSO4, K2SO4 +/or ( If available Fe-DPTA, Fe-EDDHA Mn-EDTA, Cu-EDTA, Zn-EDTA, Mg-EDTA )

5) Where can i get all the PMDD ingredients that contains all the necessary elements that my plants will need?

Laboratory Chemical Vendors, Premixed Micronutrients from manufacturers - Check the contents and %ages.

6) how frequent shld i dose PMDD into my tank?

Daily / Twice daily even better.
    In case your PMDD conatins Fe-EDTA try dosing the same after lights out. Fe-EDTA rapidly decomposes ( I think 85% in 24 hrs) when exposed to light.
    Dosing after lights out will keep the chelated Fe longer in the chelated form for the plants to use. That's what I do.

7) and as for those fertilizer to add into the substrate.. wat shld i add to supplement?? (jobe sticks???) can give me all the names of products? and also i would like the name of the ball thingy to make plants red.. i forgot the name

I leave it to the other S'poreans to answer that - they know what's available locally and have used it.

how frequent shld i add those fertilizer into substrate??

Look at your plants. If you feel they need it go ahead.

sorry for the long list of questions... thanks in advance

No problems.

Madan Subramanian
    bangalore, India.

Feedback Score
    Hi Morph3us,

I was at Dr Mallick's today to get some K2SO4. He has something called LUSHGro-AQUA, which is his version of PMDD. According to the write-up, it's got the following, all in g/litre

N = 7.179
    K = 51.711
    S = 16.667
    Mg = 2.942
    Fe-EDTA = 1.683
    Mn = 0.612
    B = 0.314
    Zn = 0.092
    Cu = 0.025
    Mo = 0.016
    and traces of other minerals and vitamins

It comes in a 500ml bottle, I think for $6.00, according to instructions, we add 10ml per 100l of water, but 1-2 times a month, not everyday though.

Anyone used this, any comments?

eggz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    you can obtain the ingredients for pmdd for dr mallick.
    the address and contact is in the lfs list.

the are 2 commonly used brands of fertilizer sticks for inserion into the gravel, jobe and horti. if you plan to use horti brand, choose the green one.

you'll need to add fe to make red plants redder.
    the ball thingy, you're referring to laterite?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Personally, I find PMDD is too much trouble. Most of the commercial stuff are sufficient for the trace elements and most of the macros. I only use PMDD ingredients to supplement elements I find lacking, like K and sometimes NO3.

If you want to use terrestrial ferts in your substrate, choose the one with the lowest amount of P. Don't get Jobe for aquatic plants, it has a lot of P.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    madans mentioned that plants need these

and these are the ingredients.. that will fulfill the plants
    Fe-EDTA, MnSO4, CUSO4, MgSO4, Na4MoO4, ZnSO4, K2SO4 +/or ( If available Fe-DPTA, Fe-EDDHA Mn-EDTA, Cu-EDTA, Zn-EDTA, Mg-EDTA )

can i ask if dr mallick has all those?? and also... i dose everything?!?!?!?! it looks alot to me though..

im really very confused now.... and i really need to start liq. fert quick.. 2 months has passed liao and havent added any liq. fert..
    i wish to find a way whereby my plants can get everything possible....

Just to check with you guys, do you notice a drop in the appetite of your fish after dosing with Dr Mallick's lush-gro Aqua?

I'm trying to pinpoint the factor in a reduction in my aro's appetite in the planted tank. There were a couple of recent factors that were modified recently

1) Dr Mallick's lush-gro aqua, + macros
    2) Geoliquid for planted tank
    3) addition of an acrylic partition in the back portion of the gravel to stop vals runners from running amok in the tank . This also needed some rearrangement of the plants
    4) addition of 2x36W FL tube to the current 6x36W (total 8x36W now)
    5) High nitrate (>40ppm)
    6) Tempermental arowana

After a 50% water change and replacement with JBL ferropol, the arowana's appetite seems slightly improved. Also stopped Geoliquid for planted tanks.

What do you guys think is the reason

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    n and p are normally available through fish poop.
    to supplement k and mg , we use k2s04 and mgs04 respectively.
    the micros is available as trace element mix.

so if you are interested in pmdd, you'll need
    1) k2s04 --> k & s
    2) mgs04 --> mg & s
    3) trace element mix for fe and trace elements
    4) kno3 --> n needed only if your tank is lacking of n.

before you try pmdd, you'll need to get test kits for measuring no3, po4, fe, gh, kh and ph. hope i did not miss out any. without any info about your tank, it's kind of hard to know what your tank needs. however, you can start by adding some k2so4 and trace element mix.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wat if i have no fishes???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    any base fertilizers?
    what are your tank parameters?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vican..the high level of nitrate is the reason why your aro's appetite is affected...[]
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/26/2002 12:06:34 AM

any base fertilizers?
    what are your tank parameters?
    ----------------
    its at http://www.aquaticquotient.com/mytan...asp?Tank_ID=97

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    ----------------
    On 11/26/2002 12:04:26 AM

wat if i have no fishes???
    ----------------
    Then you'll have to supplement P as well.
    P in fish food in a well stocked tank is usually enough. Or if you have P in the substrate then nothing to worry.

Madan Subramanian
    Bangalore, India.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    ----------------
    On 11/25/2002 11:49:11 PM

madans mentioned that plants need these

and these are the ingredients.. that will fulfill the plants

can i ask if dr mallick has all those?? and also... i dose everything?!?!?!?! it looks alot to me though..

im really very confused now.... and i really need to start liq. fert quick.. 2 months has passed liao and havent added any liq. fert..
    i wish to find a way whereby my plants can get everything possible....
    ----------------
    It is not a lot and sorry guys I forgot to add Boron B as H3BO3 to the PMDD ingredients.

For example the Mo that you will add as Na4MoO4 is only 0.025 gms in 1 liter of water along with the other ingredients to GIVE YOU ONE Litre of PMDD.
    This PMDD you will dose at about 1-2 ml per 280 liters of aquarium water daily.
    This is my calculation for MY PMDD. Yours may vary depending on how much of chemicals you mix.

Madan Subramanian
    Bangalore, India.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    you tank has > 3watts/gallon and will deplete nutrient quite fast. it is high time to add some fertilizer. your co2 should be more than sufficient based on your 3-4bps.

if you plan to use pmdd, you'll need those test kits i mentioned earlier. there will not be fixed dosage like xml per 100l. the dosage will vary tank to tank and you'll need to determine the dosage by trial and error.

to start off, check you no3, po4 and fe levels before dosing. next make a solutions using kno3. use Chuck Gadd's dosing calculator
    to determine the amount of kno3 required to give 0.7ppm of n for every 1ml.

add about 1 teaspoon each of k2so4 and mgs04 at the start of every week.
    dose 1ml of kno3 solution every day so that by end of 1 week, you would have dosed 5ppm.
    add 3 drops of trace element mix from dr mallick everyday.

at the end of 1 week, check no3, po4 and fe levels. the target to achieve is 5-10ppm of no3, 0.5-1.0ppm of po2 and about 0.2-0.5ppm of fe. adjust your dosage of no3 solution and drops of trace element to meet these targets.

since you do not have any fishes, you'll need to get the kh2po4, i think, from dr mallick. make a solution that will give you 0.2ppm for every 1 ml. dose using the method described earlier. go easy on this solution. less is better than more.

you will know that you have succeeded when you tank is 'raining' bubbles of o2.[]
    enjoy tinkering with you tank.
    do ask if you have doubts.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    or is there anyone who uses commercial liq. fert also add PMDD and yield good results? cause im really a newbie at this..... so maybe i start with something simplier first like PMDD with commercial liq. fert
    or i will follow tawauboy`s advise.. by the way tawauboy where can i get 3) trace element mix for fe and trace elements ? and also how to add P?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh yes tawauboy if i go wrong with the addition of PMDD>. will i invite an algae attack????

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    dr mallick has trace element mix.
    just ask for trace element mix and it contains all the required trace elements as well as fe. this trace element mix is a little high on fe, though.

to add p, you'll need kh2po4, also available from dr mallick.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    On 11/26/2002 12:45:40 AM

oh yes tawauboy if i go wrong with the addition of PMDD>. will i invite an algae attack????
    ----------------
    yes!!!!!!!!
    if you get everything right, you will get a 'raining' o2 tank and good plant growth. however, if you get it wrong, it could be a disaster.[]
    you can minimise the risk by dosing on the conservative side and observe. do it slowly and have lots of patience. it may take you a couple of months to dial in.

and keep your water change regime, maybe weekly if not fortnightly. this will dilute any overdose nutrients.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    waaaaaaaaaaaaa................. tawauboy which way would be easier and safer?? hahaha.... i really very worried of an algae attack..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast