Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Which brand 2 control algae?

Feedback Score

Which brand 2 control algae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys anybody there can recommend a good algae fighter does biotrop from denerele good? but a bit pinchy on the pocket leh. or is there anyother brand which is good enough?

help [:0]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just started using biotrop for my 6 foot (540L of water) planted aro tank. Had been using enough for 400L of water but it did not stop my NO3 from shooting way way beyond my 40ppm test kit limit. Just added enough to handle 800L of water. Waiting to see results.

I may actually be nullifying the effect as the filter is connected to an external CO2 reactor and any Nitrogen gas produced may actually be mixed back into the water again. Shooting myself in the foot. I think I better dig out my spare 2231 and use it as a biotrop canister.

A pack enough for 400L is about $70++ to $80++ dollars. The pack for 100L is about $30. Suppose to last about 5 months. I think that's not too bad. I just chuck the stuff in a filter bag and put it in the filter... no need for the Biotrop hardware.

Biotrop dose not really control algae. It helps reduce NO3 and thus reduces the chances of getting algae. You might want to consider Dennerle's Gold7 which claims to prevent algae.

Do consider carefully about using biotrop... a planted tank should never be completely without NO3. I'm only using it due to the extremely high amounts of NO3 coming from the arowana's diet.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Sorry whats at NO3?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    NO3 = Nitrate.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    oh i see thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In reality, there is no single product that effectively fights algae. If you have gone through the threads here, it is all about balance. Basically, all you have to do is make sure your plants thrive.

Have the right amount of light, CO2 & nutrients. That's the way to go.

I have tried those dennerle products which claimed to fight algae. To a certain extent it is true, those products are basically trying to boost your plants. If your tank is totally inbalance, e.g. not enough CO2 with too high light, to start with you are still going to end up with algae no matter what product you use.

My advice is to learn about the plant's requirement. Here is one site which I refered to.
    http://www.sfbaaps.com/reference/barr_02_01.shtml

BC