Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Just a quickie question

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    When maintaining a planted tank is it important to syphon the substrate when doing a water change, even in a heavily planted tank (eg little open substrate). I've often wondered. When doing a water change in my tank (apprx 50% open substrate, 50% planted) i syphon as much of the substrate as possible. Ofcourse over time the substrate can get absolutely full of fish waste ect, is this beneficial to the plants like horse shit is for garden plants ect?

If someone could clear that up for me, want to know if i should continue to syphon it or let it build up for the plants. I don't know
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It depends on what type of substrate you are using. If you using plain gravel, it is fine to syphon the open area. If you use base fert in the substrate, then it will not be advisble to do it.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    I have a mixture of substrate that encourages strong root networks and incourages the plant to grow into the substrate, mixed in with an unknown substrate that promotes growth in plants by taking fish waste and turning it into fert for the plants. But i still feel the need to syphon it, as if i don't trust it xD. Just wondered if its worth me leaving the substrate and just doing weekly 25% water changes.
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    firstly, if the filter is good enough and has sufficient BB, and the fauna load is not too much, it should not be a problem.

The BB and the plants can take care of the shit from the fish....

I have 60 cardinals, 10 guppies and 2 oto in my tank, with about 40% planted and 60% open substrate on my 4x2x2 tank.

plants are ok so far, except for the algae problem which my otos are cleaning up now (almost done).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I usually attached a sponge on stick and attached it to the end of the siphoning tube and stirs up the uneaten food/ soil debris/fish wastes and siphon them out whenever i do a wc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    I have syphoning tube with a cupped end to allow suction and enable me to plunge it into the substrate, therefore sturring it up and debre being syphoned out. Also ensures my substrate isnt sucked up, even the finest pieces quite good really. Commonly available piece of kit i think, nothing special.

whats the scientific name for these 'oto' fish? They don't happen to go by the name siamese algae eaters do they? I think that's another form of flying fox though.
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oto is referring to Otocinclus spp.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Thanks will be looking out for these in my LFS
    Verminator